Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Why not to buy an ATV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not to buy an ATV.

I can think of lots of reasons TO buy an ATV... but I'm trying to be smart here. What are some of the downsides of owning an ATV?

What are the unexpected things that come up whether it's cost, weather, etc., that arise after you get the darn thing.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

On this forum that is like asking why not live. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] With that said there is always downsides to anything (biggest cost now is gas not just quad but the vehicle to get it there and back) but to me (god willing) I will always be riding no matter what the cost is as it is my way out!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Totally understand! I'm just trying to think of everything before I purchase. thanks!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer

When my son is old enough i will buy him a dirt bike first for the only fact, that, if he can ride a dirt bike really well than every machine after that will be a piece of cake to ride. Everyone told me that if you can rape a dirtbike than you ride anything. Other than that i love riden my quad

Old 09-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it has **** or tires, eventually it's gonna give you trouble. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

It's one more thing that needs insurance, gas, and maintainance.

You never know when some low-life POS will fill it full of bullet holes, or steal it.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the downside stuff is really obvious, and a lot of it has already been mentioned.

The up side for me is that this is something the whole family can do together, and we combine riding with camping trips. We go with a dozen other families, campfires, group rides, and the kids have a great time! So no mater what, it's worth it!

That said, also consider dual-sport motorcycles. While I think I will always be a hard core ATV guy, being street legal you have so many more options of where you can ride, plus you may be able to commute on it as well.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DOES NOT COMPUTE

As a friend of mine says "The only reason I have a car is because I cannot get to work on my ATV"

But seriously, IMO there are no downsides....... of course there is maintenance and that means money..... but I don't see that as a downside because who doesn't love shopping?

The upkeep for ATVs is pretty low for most machines, and for the fun and utility they can give you the cost is small in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot of money on my ATV habit....... from safety gear and clothes and boots - to upgrade parts for the machines themselves..... but fact is I don't NEED any of those things other than helmet/gloves/goggles.... I could ride in jeans and good work boots, I could pass on things like high performance exhaust and other modifications - I could have run my stock tires a bit longer etc...etc...etc.....

But we simply as a family know we are going to spend money on the ATV habit, so we do other things less....... we don't go out to dinner as often, we don't have a huge LCD HD TV (yet) we don't have two brand new cars..... our vacations are generally centered around riding so they are often cheaper then most people's trips....

But as others have said, they are worth every penny because they bring family closer, and friends too.... this is a unique sport that we all love, a sport that for years was looked at as a rebellious and dangerous fringe outing only done by lawless people.... for years ATV riders were thought of as some kind of off-road "Hell's Angels" and in the eyes of still many that is exactly what we still are.....

So for some it becomes almost a religious experience...... many people I know consider the trail their "church" for all intents and purposes. It is a place where the worries of the world take a back seat, and the place were you sweat out the toxins from life through your helmet......

Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The only reason not to buy a ATV is.

1. You know know one else who owns a ATV and riding alone is boring.

2. You live somewhere where there is no trails to ride on. Example , NY City.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] HMMMMMMMMMMMM can't think of any.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Well, only thing I can come up with is the wife says 5 is enough, and a divorce is far more expensive than a having 6.

Quick Reply: Why not to buy an ATV.