Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I don't know what to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know what to buy...

I am new to four-wheeling, and I have no clue what to buy...... My price range is around $3000... Maybe a little more... I am going to buy used... What would be a good 4x4 ATV that would most likely be in my price range? I am looking at Honda Foremans... It would be used for mudding and trail riding, so it needs to have racks... I also want a speedometer...

Heres the link to the one that I am looking at...
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/856042612.html

Is $2400 a good price?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, is 1000 miles alot on an ATV???? And how fast would it go?? How good is the 1997 Foreman at mudding??

Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old 400's have a pretty solid reputation, but it is pretty much a pure WORK quad (limited suspension), and not the greatest trail machine.

Honda's now have an excellent torque sensing front differentail, that sends the power to the wheel with traction. Thing is, the older Formans have a pretty terrible old school "open differential", that sends the power to the wheel without traction....not good!

1000 miles is abdolutely nothing!!! We often ride over 100miles each weekend. Got to wonder if that is an honest mileage for a machine that old.....

I think that is to much money for one that is that old!!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

the foreman is a stout quad, good for any riding you will do...

Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Red Rider

Pass this one up!!!

Got to wonder why a machine with only 1000 mi on it needed a new piston, and all those new parts, etc. There are lots of these with 20,000+ mi on them that have never needed a rebuild. Something just isn't right here!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will pass it up, thanks!! What would be good four wheeler I could get for around $3000?

Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Red Rider

I'm in the arid southwest, and have no experience with mud machines, so I will not suggest any particular machine. But, there should be many great older quads around at that price....

Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't necessarily want an older one... I would prefer a newer one...... What kind of four wheeler for like all around use? I'm not going to be mudding but about 2 or 3 times a year in shallow mud... I just want something to be able to get past a little of everything....

Old 10-01-2008, 04:57 AM
Trailblazer

I have an '01 Rancher 350 and it isn't the fastest thing on the market (45mph tops!) but it'll take me anywhere I want to go. The only time I've ever gotten stuck was when I was in snow up to the seat. The only downside I could see to it is that it's full-time 4 wheel drive. It sucks not being able to kick it in and out of 4 wheel drive, but I need it half the time anyways so its not a big deal. It's push button shift, which is very convinient. Mine has always been good to me and have never had to take it in for any mechanical reason. I say look into the Ranchers, new and old. I've never really ridden anything else long enough to reccommend to you so all I can say is that the Rancher is something you should definetly look into.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atv_fan

I have an '01 Rancher 350......The only downside I could see to it is that it's full-time 4 wheel drive. It sucks not being able to kick it in and out of 4 wheel drive, but I need it half the time anyways so its not a big deal.</end quote></div>

You are not stuck with full-time 4wd!!!! Look into the Warn 424....best mod you can make to that machine.

There are lots of testimonials in here that will back that up.......

http://forums.atvconnection.co...551676&highlight_key=y

Quick Reply: I don't know what to buy...