Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV for my daughter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV for my daughter

Canadien, Well now that I have had time to cool off, I appologise for being a little over bearing. I do want people to realise that what they say here can have far reaching effect when persons are looking for opinions.. and when we get to bragging about our experiences when learning to ride etc, that does not always carry over to others.

There are a lot of kids out there with the skills at 9 years old. There are just as many that are adults that will never have them.. You never know. That is why you won't hear me speak about racing etc.

You will always here me say for parents to open their eyes to all the dangers and to be extremely over protective. Too often they see an ATV and only see what it costs. They have no idea what they are about, they do not know the dangers, they are not willing to put in the time it takes to really monitor their child. Here in teh US, they must be under direct supervision until 16. I read about parents all the time buying one of these, giving it to their 6 year old, take their pictures and walk in the house. I also hear about the kid being killed and all they have is that picture. AND they blame the ATV. Not the guy at teh local gas staion selling them out of a back room who is just as dumb when it comes ot knowing about the dangers of ATV's. Even under perfect conditions, you can manage ot crash them, and 250 to 300 pounds can do a lot of damage to a 60 pound kid.

When it comes to gear, I believe in wearing everything. I even wear my helmet loading the machines on a trailer. Not 4 months ago, I broke my own rule and loaded my machines alone. Something I have done a hundred times before... it was wet that day. I rode up to my trailer, placed the ramps which are the folding type that are barely wide enough for my machine in the first place, and started up. I got the front wheels on the trailer, and the rear started to slide on the ramps. It slid off the side and we went for a slow roll. I stayed with it so the machine wouldn't hit my car.. and paid for it. All very slow, all very controllable.. but that is 600 pounds of steal and plastic that can and will cause damage to a person's body.

Another time, I had my back saved by wearing body armor. I got a fracture out of it, but it would have been MUCH worse if I had not been wearing the gear. In my MX days, I took out 50 ft of snow fence with my face once, broke my jaw, had my face wired for almost a year. Ever try to eat through a straw for several weeks. Not fun. Been there, done that.

Crushed my leg, actually broke the foot off internally. Put it back together with screws and plates. Rebuilt the knee. After 7 surgeries and almost 4 years I can walk without a cane. Daily with every step I feel pain... All caused from accidents. And I am a very good and safe rider. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. Especially novices.

I spend a lot of time with kids on the trail teaching technique. I also give seminars for parents who are looking for answers about ATV's in general. I have spoken with local government officials about our sport in general and have asked them for their support in initiatives to build trails etc.

In short, people who know me would say I live the sport. I do speak with experience.. My goal is to get you to adult hood safely, and your friends too. I want this sport to live on when I am gone.

I keep trails clean not because I want a pat on the back, but because it is the right thing to do. I hope you discover that too. I have been known to go out and mark trails for free. I have been known to help build a bridge or two over environmentally sensative terrain.. I have even helped search for missing persons using my ATV's to ferry personnel and supplies.

I even run a helmet give away program locally. Not only do I re-distribte helmets to people (Mostly kids), but my dealer and I have a deal set up where if in his opinion a kid comes in and can't afford a helmet, he just puts it on my tab. To date, I have bought 12 helmets. I don't know how many he has eaten... but the guy is decent.

In short, I can remember a time when ATV's, then 3 wheelers, were banned from the planet. the reasons were many, and riders displayed the same lack of concern you see today... it didn't matter, they were banned by law. OVERNIGHT. It can and will happen again if we don't see a change in attitudes. Nobody owes us the right to ride. It can be gone in a flash. I've lived it.

You see parks closing every day. Why? Injuries and attitudes... it is that simple. Our future.. YOUR future begins with parents teaching good habits.. It begins with listening and learning.. it begins with discipline on the trail and off. Where it goes will depend on how well each of us does our jobs. People like me will not be here forever. At some point kids like you will need to pick up the gauntlet and carry on the struggle.

It probably sounds corny to you now.. but as you get older, you will see the wisdom in these words. It really is up to you where you take this. Us old farts ( a Title I feel I have earned and wear proudly) come and go.. you will become one some day too.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guy:

I bought (3) ATV's from www.Vbike.us or www.VbikeUSA.com and paid $3,500 for all 3 and that was delivered to my driveway.

We purchased (2) 250VS4 and (1) 150 V3--automatic. The 250's have worked great--we have about 40 hours on all 3 machines. I bought the 150cc for my daughter who is 8[ and I literally cannot get her off the machine when we ride. It has been unbelievably warm here in the Denver area and we have ridden more than I expected. We bought the ATV's in late August 2008 and could not be happier. They look great and have surprising finishes to them. I would highly recomend the 150 V3 for your daughter--she will love it and it is not to big for her--just put the givernor down low and she will be fine,

Yeah--you have to have a little mechanical savy---use a lot of loctite on all wheel lugs and when assembling the A-arms and swings arms---but that is part of the fun---being able to tinker.

I had to work on some of the wiring --plain sight when you remove the seat. Soldered a few connections that were twisted together but again--nothing major just minor stuff.

You can spend $6,000 to $8,000 on a new machine or buy 3 VBike's for half the price of (1) Honda or Yamaha.

Is there a difference---probably--but not 5,000 dollars worth and we have 2 1996 Yamaha's and I would buy another V-Bike in a minute.

Want to call no propbelm---720-495-5332

Thanks and consider V-Bike and their Rep--Tim is a solid guy and has helped with questions and parts.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guy:

I bought (3) ATV's --August 2008 from V Bike at www.Vbike.us or www.VbikeUSA.com and paid $3,500 for all 3 and thatw as delivered to my driveway.

We purchased (2) 250VS4 and (1) 150 V3--automatic. The 250's have worked great--we have about 40 hours on all 3 machines. We purchased the 150 V3 for my 8 year-old Dauhter and I cannot get her off the machine. She rides it every day when she comes home from school and the weather in Colorado has been great 70 degrees today--November!!!!

Yeah--you have to have a little mechanical savy---use a lot of loctite on all wheel lugs and when assembling the A-arms and swings arms---but that is part of the fun---being able to tinker.

I had to work on some of the wiring --plain sight when you remove the seat. Soldered a few connections that were twisted together but again--nothing major just minor stuff.

You can spend $6,000 to $8,000 on a new machine or buy 3 VBike's for half the price of (1) Honda or Yamaha. If you want to jump off cliffs--which we do not--than buy a Yamaha--if not --these machines are great.

Is there a difference---probably--but not $5,000 dollars worth and we have 2 1996 Yamaha's and I would buy another V-Bike in a minute.

Want to call no probelm---720-495-5332--more than happy to discuss everything I have found and give some tips. These are simple machines and little know how--goes a long way brother !!!

Thanks and consider V-Bike and their Rep--Tim is a solid guy and has helped with questions and parts.

V Bike: http://vbike.us/

email: sales@vbike.us
Phone: 888-847-4940

Good Luck and Call with any questions

John