Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First ATV Advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ATV Advise

I'm looking at buying my first four wheeler. However, I'm not new to off road vehicles. I've been riding a dirt bikes almost since I could walk, and riding friends four wheelers almost as long. But I've never looked into buying one of my own. I'm looking to get a good all around machine. I don't need something big or fancy, just something with enough power and durability to haul a 250lb guy around. Mostly trial riding, occasional yard work, hunting, and mudding. I've narrowed my choices down to four machines: Honda Rancher 420 es, Yamaha Kodiak/Grizzly 450, Can-Am Outlander 400, Polaris Sportsman 400 H.O. But the closes I've come to riding any of them is my buddies Honda Rancher 350. So which would you all suggest and why?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV Advise

a rancher 420 is sportier than grizz or the sportsman, also ground clerance is i bit less, but not much to worry about.it also is th only one with a solid rear axel, so a bit stiffer of a ride, but nice in those tight turns. and the rancher is the only one with no diff lock. only one with manual shift too.

The grizz 450 sounds like a nice mechine, i was even looking at buying one. same cc's as the rancher, 421cc. auto with hi & lo range.

The can am 400 has the most power, eventhough its smaller cc size, and is a beast by all accounts. Auto with hi & lo range.

polaris 400 is light and has the most cc's 455'cc ish. this engine was in the old 450 sportsmans. is AWD as needed with some sort of a dif lock, not really a polaris guy. auto with HIGH RANGE ONLY, no lo range.

thoes are the facts as best i know. i was looking into buying a midsized 4x4 atv about a year ago too. i would say get whatever you like the best, but shop around and test ride before you buy. my opnion is that the best value for my money would be the rancher 420, and if i ever get the $'s ones gona be parked in my garage!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default First ATV Advise

Thanks for the info cherokee.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV Advise

just thought of more things. can am and honda are fuel injected, other to are still cabs. and can am is the highest $'s

Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default First ATV Advise

Is there any brand and/or model that you stay away from?

Old 11-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV Advise

the yamaha big bears and other medium sized atvs in there line up have had rear diff leaking problems. thats y i decided agenst getting a big bear in o7. its generally limited to the 07 line tho.

another one to look at might be the kawisiki prarie 360, its a bit smaller in ccs and isnt water cooled, but is automatic and has a lo gear. they are tough though, and they also have a straight axle.

are you looking for a coushie ride in your mechine? if so irs (independant rear suspention) is what you may want. and honda has the new rancher 420 auto with irs, a few $'s more for the irs modle but then your up to the comfort level with the rest.
but if i here you right your looking for something to play on six days a week and do chores with on the seventh. but a lo range, or manual shift, is good for work and hauling

Old 11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer
Default First ATV Advise

If you want a good dual purpose machine, Than the 420 Rancher is one of the best choices. FI is the best thing that ever haAnd hppened to this sport. And the rancher is one of the most reliable machines out there. all the rancher needs is a locking diff.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV Advise

o new info: aparently the front dif on the polaris 400 has a hole at the top of it leaveing it exposed. not a problem if you dont want to EVER go in water or mud over the footpegs.

sounds like a serous defect that the factory warranty wont cover. and i was just starting to think polaris wasn't too bad of a mechine.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV Advise

I would 100% recommend the Outlander. It makes the most power in it's class, and is an awesome trail machine. The seat itself is very comfortable. If you get it with the XT package, you also get handguards, front and rear bumpers, better tires and wheels, and the 3,000 lb winch. Also, the 09 Outlanders have standard skid plates installed on them, right from the factory. Don't forget Can-Am's 3 year standard warranty either.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default First ATV Advise

Thanks for the info Canadian144. I've actually started to lean toward the Outlander, by all accounts it seems to be a great machine. Only problem is coming up with the extra $, especially for the XT package.

Quick Reply: First ATV Advise