Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

When with the deals start? There is a recession

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When with the deals start? There is a recession

I plan on purchasing an ATV. Would like to buy honda but comfortable with any of the big Japan or North America built ATVs. But I have been surprised there is not more deals going. It is the end of the year and the country is in a recession.

You can get incredible deals on cars, boats. Pretty much anything right now if you have money. Why are ATVs not running more deals? I got to believe these dealers are hurting like everyone else.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

there are deals out there, just not as great as on cars, boats, ect. right now yamaha, sukuki, and arctic cat for sure have year end deals out right now. but no there not o% financing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. i would say your best bet might be just going with a standard deal and hageling with the dealer over price. just shop around and be flexable on the location of the dealer too, with gas pricaes being so low a 50 mile trip costs half what it use to.

good luck!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The deals are with the used stuff ,shop for a used 2008 with 500 miles on it. Toys are the first thing people sell in a recession. Dealer really can not give them away but owners in hard times sometimes have no choice.

I always buy used with everything,let someone else take the first initial dealership beating,then buy that same mint condition machine off the person in a few months for $2500 less plus half the taxes. Never got stuck with a lemon yet,trucks, sleds, snowblowers you name it.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah look around for leftovers from 1-2 years.........

Right now is a great time to buy some things, but sport and recreation things are generally almost recession-proof in a way..... you can get deals but you often won't get any steals during a slow sales time..... you actually get more of those when sales are really high since inventory is moving......

Big ticket recreation items such as ATV, sleds, watercraft and boats are all about moving units..... you usually get the better deals when dealerships are moving things out at a mad rate....same with cars sometimes......

Of course you can still get those "stale inventory" deals in times like this but you often have to work for them in that they are not advertised.....

Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Wait until right AFTER Xmas... January 09. Usually most people have spent too much money over Christmas on presents and clothes and whatever and don't have any to spend on quads right after, same with cars. If you can wait until then usually the dealers will be pretty desperate because usually January and February are slow sales months.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of businesses start their fiscal year October 1st instead of January 1st. That's when new cars and quads usually come out too. There should be year-end deals in September to get rid of old inventory.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM
H20
Trailblazer

Historically when they announce that there is a recession the effects of a slow down does not hit the dealers for at least a year,
I would not expect to get any real great deals for at least a year from now .... however, privately you should start to see better deals now.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

If this recession gets really nasty, you'll be able to pick up toys for 33 cents on the dollar. Bac k in the mid 80's here in Houston, you could get $50k boats for $10k from individuals. I hope this doesn't happen, but unfortunately when bad times come, so do the deals.