Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying an atv.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001 | 07:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I've been thinking about buying a used atv for awhile and just got $1,000 bucks saved so now I'm wondering: What should I look for in a used atv?

And I've also been thinking about racing my atv, so I'd like to know whats the fastest atv to date because I'll probably get my motor souped if anything.(please excuse my country grammar)

Thanks

Old 02-04-2001 | 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

For $1,000 your options are kind of limited, at least around here it is VERY hard to find a decent machine for under $1,500... but being thats how much you have you'll have to do, defintely shop around, save that cash until you find the right deal, basically just look for obvious things like worn parts, broken parts, does it start good or hard? Check the case by the front sprocket for cracks, check the case seals for leaks look at the front of the engine expessically, wiggle the wheels and stuff around, make sure all the gears work, besides that I dunno... you should be able to tell a good machine from a piece of junk, usually if it looks nice it is... Always take it for a good test drive before buying.. You best bet for the money might be a blaster just cuz of the low price, like $3,000 new (alot less than most sport quads) so you would probally be able to find a decent one for $1,000.?

Old 02-04-2001 | 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

A thousand bucks,im laughing my a$$ off!That little bit of money wont buy nothing that is worth anything,and your surly not going to buy a ATV that will compete in a race!Im still lol,

Save ALOT more money and wait.A grand MIGHT buy you a Moto 4,
Bill

Old 02-05-2001 | 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure how old you are but you might want to consider putting 1,000 down and finance pending you have a job.
Bill is right you won't get much more than a motto 4 for 1,000. You might want to consider a three wheeler for that price if you can't finance.
Good luck and keep us posted

Old 02-05-2001 | 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Battle Cat,
There was on article here at the atvconnection website called "budget racer" They made a 250R fourtrax racer for around $1,200 or $1,600 bucks. It is going to take some luck in finding the stuff and buying used stuff from the salvage yards for the right price. I would suggest you read the article and try it. Other than that You are not going to find a racing machine for anything less then $3,000. Unless it is a Suzuki. You might want to look at them. They are decent bikes but not as good as the 250R.

Old 02-06-2001 | 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Now I don't know alot about ATV's but I do know that if you buy a quad for $1,000 your not going to get a very good one and since your looking to race, your probably going to have to spend a lot of money on parts. No one sells a good racing quad for $1,000. So there will be a lot of work involved and if you don't know how to fix it then that will be more money because you will have to find someone to fix it for you. "A" arms,tires, seals,shocks and stuff like that will probably need to be replaced more than likely. And if your going to be racing it's going to take alot more money than you think. You have to change certain parts after every couple of races. Well your suppose to anyways. If you want to win you will. You'll notice you'll have to replace almost everything if you buy a quad for that amount of money. That's why I haven't bought a quad yet. My boyfriend works for a Yamaha dealership and he has a quad and races also. And right now he's got his quad all taken apart to get it race ready for next season and he's already spent 2,000 just on parts alone and he's not even done yet. So if I were you I'd sit on it for a while and keep saving . Maybe you'll change you mind about the quad you want. But if you buy a quad for that amount of money I can almost garenttee you'll get a piece of junk and won't be able to race it until you get a couple thousand $$'s for parts.I don't want to discourage you or anything but these are the reasons I haven't bought one yet and I dont even want to race. Hope I helped ya out a little. Oh ya... this is my boyfriends name. Mine is p2gal, I just forgot to log-on before I started writing this.HeHe.

no quad(sad but true)