Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

baddest on the block

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying my first quad, but I want the best. From what I hear, I'm torn between 400EX and Raptor. Here's my requirements:

1. I'm not mechanically inclined at this time. I need reliability.

2. Even though I'm new, I want to dust the boys on the track.

3. Mostly trail riding since I'm in Florida. However, major air is in my future.

4. Money is not the issue. If I'm investing this much, a few extra bucks isn't a problem.

5. Will modify after getting experience. With mods, which is better.

6. 400EX and Raptor are first two to pop up, I'm not stuck on either. Is there better.

7. Comfort is nice. Suspension is also very nice.

I need unbiased experienced opinions. Someone who has rode both or all would be nice. My friends are biased because they own one or the other. Any help is much appreciated.

See ya on the track,
JD

Old 02-07-2001, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

Well...

The Banshee is the baddest bike you can still buy new. A used 250R could be built up to be a bad bike too if you had the $$.

In January, I bought a Raptor, a buddy bought a banshee, and another buddy bought the 400EX.

The Banshee is just scarey fast. It's powerband is all near the topend, which is very intimidating for new riders. I can't deal with it yet on the bigger trails (I stall it). Unless you are on a 2-stroke, there is no way you will be king of the hill.

The Raptor is the strongest 4-stroke. Out of the box it is a wheelie machine. It doesn't feel as fun as the Banshee or 400EX in stock form because it feels a little top heavy/narrow. It doesn't inspire confidence. Hopefully with a few upgrades (wider axle, different tires) It will have a more confident feel. It's definitly fast enough for a beginner!

The 400EX is great right out of the box. It doesn't have quite as much power as the Raptor, but once you get used to the feel of it, it just feels easier to ride. When we lined the rear tires up back to back with my Raptor it was just a slight bit wider.

The aftermarket scene is still a little scarce for the Raptor. Thanks to one of my buddys, I already need new plastics. There is nothing yet available except factory parts ($$!) There are all kinds of hop-ups for the 400EX.

I think that once I dump $500 into repairs, and another $1000 into hop ups, that the Raptor will become the group favorite. Right now, its Banshee, 400EX, Raptor in that order as to preference.

I've had to push start the banshee, and pull the 400EX out of bad ditch with my reverse. I think the Raptor is a good balance between performance and features.

Old 02-07-2001, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

Banshee with pipes and lots of other mods(call around from adds, they will tell you alot of cool mods). If money is not a problem then pay someone to put your mods on. After it's all said and done that thing will have so much power you will have a hard time holding on to it. Good luck, if I was new I wouldn't want the baddest on the block. You can't learn well when you have a quad the overpowers your ability. O yeah buy a helmet and good health insurance while your out