Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

fast utility quads.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast utility quads.

is there eny one out there that has a fast utility quad?
and what is it.
cause i seem to b the only one with a fast utility quad.
all the sport quad guys trying to gang up on me.
just wonderin if theres eny one out there with a badass utility quad. to tell the sport quad guys that the utlitys (big bores) are jus as fast as them.
help me out.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Dude, you have a chance of beating us in a straight line. Take it to a MX track. WE WIN. Take it to a drag strip against real drag sport quads. WE WIN. Take it to a trail. WE WIN.

Sport quad - BETTER at everything speed-related.

Utility quad - BETTER at going slow and through tough terrain and through mud etc. WHY anyone would buy a utility quad purely to go fast...... is beyond me.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

no thats ur problem u think a sport quad is everything speed related. im telling u that i will out speed your 450 top and bottom end. u dont comprehend that very well. and after i outspeed u. i will hook a chain to u and pull u threw a mx track.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

YOU will NOT out speed any 450 or 700 sport ATV, at the top or bottom end. WE ARE LIGHTER, making the SAME if not MORE power. YOU don't understand ANYTHING about engine clearly other than the basic two year old phrase of "OOOOH IT IS BIG". Congratulations, you have passed Grade 1 math, you can count!

You think you will pull me through an MX track. Try even doing a lap a utility ATV. You wouldn't even clear a 5 foot jump. Have fun flipping over, and rolling over taking a turn.

If you honestly think you can beat an LTR or any sport quad around a track, then it is beyond me how they let you even buy an ATV.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

umm.. i said i would drag u threw a track. and if u kno how to drive u wont flip. look. haha go to you tube and type in. grizzly vs. racing quads. my cousin gots a stock grizzly 660. and look at the video.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some fast utility quads like the Sportsman 800 and XP 850, Outlander 800R, and ThunderCat 1000. According to what I've read they'll do around 70-80+ mph and most sport quads will do around 75, so there's not much difference in the top speed betwen sport quads and the biggest utilities. My 500 will barely hit 60mph on a dirt road but it's fast enough for me. Where I ride most of the trails are barely wider than 1 ATV but have 2 way traffic, and no quads can go fast.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

I consider my brute to be fast (PLENTY FAST FOR ME), its faster than any of my friends quads but none of them run sport bikes we are all ute riders. I have beat one guy I know on his 300ex, But I have had a modded 400ex blow by me like I had the park brake on....

Unless you have tons of money soaked into your grizz I dont see it beating most of those bikes. I am not hear to call anyone a Liar and dont think I am doing so, I just have freidns with STOCK grizzleys and I outrun them everytime. But yours could be modded to the max hell i dont know.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

I have an arctic cat 700 with 28" swamplites and everyone knows a cat is a slow heavy machine and I still beat my cousins 660 grizzly. Hes a heavy(290lbs) guy though so i figured if anything, a guy my size(145lbs) on a grizz would out run me. Between mine and the grizz, i definatly gave his the benifit of the doubt. I thought for sure i was gonna be back a few quad lengths, not the other way around. Oh ive ridden both the grizz 660 and the 450, you will lose!! you would possibly have a chance against a 400ex though. Ok so i watched the race, he got beat by the sport bikes, so whats you point? looks like he was more in the way so no one could around him more than anything. i mean come on man a grizz is fast but dont compare it to a sport quad. from what i could tell he wasnt last but he wasnt anywhere close to 1st place either.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced a XC last year and there were a lot of Utes that were faster than my z400....... they were modded BF750s and an Renegade 800 or two..... they were eating me up in certain places on the track...... mostly due to their superior traction of 4x4 and massive torque down low.....

However, going into any turn, or in any rough whooped out terrain, and the few small jumps in the track, I was able to pull right back up to them. And in fact they were slowing me down a lot in those areas. No matter how fast a big Ute is, the massive weight is a disadvantage when it comes to turns..... I was able to out-brake them every time as they simply have more mass to stop and turn with..... I was able to pass several "faster" Ute ATVs by just braking later going into turns. And the ones that tried to out-brake me would overshoot the turns and end up off the track........And if we were even coming out of the turns, by 3rd gear I was pulling in front enough to gain the line and force them to back off.

So yeah you can make a Ute just as "fast" as a sport quad if all you do is drive in a straight line...... but throw in a few turns and things change a lot...... And if I was on a 450cc machine, I'm willing to bet they would not have pulled me at all with even traction.....

Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

One question.

Does it really matter?

Quick Reply: fast utility quads.