Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

HELP...buying an ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 11:42 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default HELP...buying an ATV

Hi all,

I received this advice on purchasing a NEW ATV. I wanted to share with everybody...and get some feedback. Does the advise sound reasonable? Or are the expectations to high? See quote...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>hey biz,

i can help you here since i have experience doing this

The ATV market is defenitly WAY different the the car market, there are a lot of different factors between each individual dealer that goes into the price of the machine. here are just a handful to at least be aware of

1)the econonmy in that particular area

2)sales volume of that particualr dealer

3)how many of these machines are in stock?

4)how big of a dealership?

5)how long they have had that one particualar XP at their shop

a dealer does get charged freight and set-up fees from polaris, but they really dont NEED to pass this on to you. first place i would start is get the freight and set up fees dropped. it cost a dealer about $8 grand total to get the 850XP on their show room floor. im gonna guess that you probably could get $300-$500 off the the MSRP too. if you get accessories, shoot for 10% to 20% off of all accessories. your dealer will still make money of that too, not much, but some. and finally on labor for any accessories, ask for 50% that cost too. (if you get accessories, i can help give you an idea of what proper labor time is too, since i have installed almost all the accessories in the book at one point or another) the last piece of advice i have is local dealers on compete against each other. call all dealers within 200 miles of you and get an OTD (out-the-door) price for the same machine, then bring these numbers to your local dealer. sounds like you know how to work it from here

a reacap of what i think is fair, and most dealer should be able to do.

1) no freight or set-up fees
2) $300 to $500 off MSRP
3)10%-20% off accessories (probably be more on the 10% side)
4)50% off labor cost on accessories

hope that helps! anymore questions feel free to ask

good luck!
</end quote></div>

Thanks for any info you can provide.

biz

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2009 | 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

I seems pretty accurate but it's all just common sense. The dealer wants as much out of your pocket as possible, and you want to keep as much in as possible. The ATV market, as well as any other luxury item, sucks and dealership will do just about anything to get your business. It does pay in the long run to go back and forth between dealers for the best price. I did this about a month ago when I purchased my 2008 Honda 700xx. I got it for $5482 OTD WITH a 2 year parts and labor warranty!! It's definitely a buyers market right now. To show you how much the market sucks for dealers, almost a year ago I got my 2008 Honda 400EX for $5382 OTD and no extra warranty. Back then it was a good deal, but no where near what you can get now.

Old 03-03-2009 | 02:49 PM
Range Rover

i would like to add that i believe that all accessory should be par of pdi!!!not that i pay pdi...i got a total of2600 off the msrp of the machine ......i canvased dealers within 6 hr drive of my home most through the net i just told em all you have one shot no haggle i will be bying on this date and i did it worked for me!!!my dealer swore there was not too much room on the machine but tons on the accessorys i believe him....well with a grain of salt.....happy hunting!i find a firm and off the cuff attitude go a long way!!

Old 03-03-2009 | 03:01 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies so far! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Another thing I hadn't thought of were the special offers from Polaris. Right now...based on my zip code these are the offers of interest to me.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Get Rebates up to $600 on 2009 Polaris ATVs!

-- OR --

Get 6.99% Financing

AND

Get Rebates up to $600 on 2009 Polaris ATVs!</end quote></div>

So...how do you work that into the deal???

Thanks!

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2009 | 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

With 6.99% financing you would be better off saving the cash and buying it outright. That's a very high rate. Honda is running double rebates or 3.99% fixed financing right now on all their '09 and prior ATV's. You don't work anything into the deal. You tell them what's the lowest he'll go. Then if he doesn't get you to where you want to pay you tell him you can get a better deal elsewhere. You just keep crossing dealers off the list until one get you to where you want to be.

Old 03-05-2009 | 01:12 AM
|
Pro Rider

Funny thing...after creating this thread...I received current rebates from Polaris. They are also offering 1.99%.

Personally...I think I like the $600 rebate the best...

Any other suggestions? I plan on hitting the dealers starting this weekend...and take a test drive or two.

biz

Old 03-14-2009 | 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a new Honda Rancher AT with Power Steering for the wife.
We got $800 off MSRP, $400 Honda rebate (additional price reduction), Warn 2500lb winch at cost with install at 2/3rds rate and 3.99% financing. I don't mind paying Honda $400 to use their money instead of ours right now.

Oh yea, no freight or set up charges were included.

Old 05-04-2009 | 09:12 PM
|
Pro Rider
Angry Maybe I should call AZ or CO for a better deal???

Gosh...I need to move to where all you folks live with the GREAT deals! Just came back from one of the local dealers and this was there best price...for a 2009 Polaris XP 850 non-EPS in Sunset Red.

$8999.99 MSRP
- $500.00 off MSRP
- $220.00 winch cost (instead of the winch itself)
------------
$8279.99 (semi happy right now)

They refused to remove the destination charge. So...then I ask for the OTD price...and it came out to $9551.99!

I almost got sick right there! WTF...I mean...how much does the destination charge cost?!?!!?

Well...needless to say...I walked out and did not look back. I didn't realize that I had "SuCKER" on my forehead today!

Trying another local dealer tomorrow...hope it goes better!

biz

Old 05-04-2009 | 09:13 PM
|
Pro Rider
Angry Maybe I should call AZ or CO for a better deal???

Sorry...but double-post...

Old 05-05-2009 | 12:06 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.

Hey Biz, stick to ur guns. You'll find a dealer that wanst to sell a bike!! Almost 10k otd!! THATS OUTRAGIOUS!!! In todays economy its a buyers market, u can find a better deal.