Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

4wd vs. 2wd utility, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd vs. 2wd utility, which one?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>If 2wd is all you need, then why not a sport quad?</end quote></div>

I would still rather have a 2wd Utility. They have no chain to worry about maintaining, more ground clearance and larger racks for beer and ice,gas cans and so on and so on.

We ride with 2wd ATVs they go everywhere we go 99% of the time, I would just but some nice tires with 1" plus tall lugs and it will have better traction than stock.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

While I have only owned 4x4 utility quads I can tell you that when climbing a hill in 4wheel drive, I have yet to have the front end come up on me unless I am stopped on a really steep hill and have come to a stop to try and go over tall tree roots or rocks. If it is just a steep hill I have no problem just engaging the front end and mash the throttle all the way up. A 2 wheel drive will not climb as good as a 4x4. Another benefit is having the all wheel drive going down hills and letting the motor and the additional traction for braking. I guess it is safe to say that I can't think of a single benefit of having 2 wheel drive over 4 wheel drive other than the additional cost of maintenance and parts if it breaks. It's one of those " I can do anything you can do better" things I think.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

In a 4wd is the front axle locked or is there a differential?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mamurray

In a 4wd is the front axle locked or is there a differential?</end quote></div>

Depends on the model. Honda has an excellent "torque sensing" front diff (like found on the Land Rover), that sends power to the wheel with traction. I have never felt like I needed lockers!

Lots of folks thing it is great because they have "lockers"....and rightly so because when your normal diff is "open", you darn well better have lockers!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

As far as i know most have a differential now, the older yamaha wolverines had full time 4wd as well as some other older models but now im pretty sure they are selectable 4wd, which means you can use 2wd in most cases. When you need 4wd for hills, rocks,mud ect... just hit the button/lever and go. In regular 4wd your bike is really kinda in 3wd, which means the 2 front tires transfer power back and forth delivering power/traction to the tire needing it. Both will still spin but one is pulling the load more. Then certain models have a differential locker which means when regular 4wd cannot get you out or up or whatever your situation is, just flip or pull the locking lever and ALL four wheels are locked for a true 4wd. for example I had to use diff lock in Wyoming when climbing a mountain with 14" of snow b/c the regular 4wd did not allow enough traction to get up as well as doing some rock climbing here in missouri.