Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Don't know what yo buy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't know what yo buy!

Hey everyone, I'm looking at picking up my first quad and I want to make sure I get the right one. I read a bunch of articles about how to buy the right quad, but they aren't much help.

I live in northern Ontario, where we do get a lot of snow but I have sled for winter riding. There's quite a bit of thick bush but you can find lots of trails and open plains as well.

I am on a budget like most people but i still think I can find the right machine for me. I don't plan on using the machine for any type of work like plowing, hauling or fishing/hunting, just for fun. I do know that I want a 4X4 so I can do some light mudding, but at the same time be able to handle nicely around corners.

So far what caught my eye is the Polaris Scrambler, seems to be in the middle of the spectrum and within my budget. Just wondering if anyone around here has that machine and can tell me what it can and can't do. Also if anyone has any tips/advice/comments, that would be great. Thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to find TLC! He is from Ontario and rides some kind of Polaris....maybe a Scrambler. I will PM him for you......

Personally, I love the Honda Rancher line! They are medium size, so that means they aren't little toys, but they aren't a hulking monster ute either. The 420 engine rips right off the bottom! It is available in both SRA/manual trans, and IRS/automatic trans models. I have an old 350 that is 10 years old now, and never had even one single thing done to it except routine maintanance!!!

You buying new or used????

Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

Honda Ranchers for reliability
Kawi Bayous for fun
Polaris if you enjoy fixing the odd problem.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice so far, I am buying used and should also mention I'm looking to spend no more than $5000.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

The scrambler is a good machine for the niche. Plenty of power, good suspension and a very comfortable ride. Down sides is its heavy and cant take extreme jumps.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

How is it for bush riding, does it have good ground clearance and torque for going over logs, rocks and brush?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Scrambler is pretty good all around. It doesn't have much ground clearance because of the solid rear axle swingarm. But, it does have 4wd to get you through some rough spots. IRS is the way to go for clearance.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, here's the news. I found a 2004 sportsman 400 with plenty of accessories with in range. i was initially planing on getting a 500 but it's a pretty good deal. How would the sportsman compare to a 500 scrambler?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Neuch85
How is it for bush riding, does it have good ground clearance and torque for going over logs, rocks and brush?
NO! I ride with my cousin and his 500 Scrambler ,they chain and back sprocket takes a beating on out Trail here in Sault Ont. Also the lack of a low range makes it more difficult on the slow rough trail sections and cant "creep" like the low range ATVs he has to "charge" in.

Good points is the Scamler 60mph+ fast on the logging roads and has true AWD but the chain drive and 23" tires cause it to hit things we straddle over.

Try to get a ATV with shaft drive,and a low range unless its a shift model because they have low enough 1st and 2nd for rock and log clawling.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, then would you recommend the Sportsman 400 for bush riding. I don't plan on riding much, maybe 100-200 hours a summer. Let's say 50/50 between bush and trail. I only put 100 miles on my sled this winter, probably match that on the quad.