Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Solid Axle or independent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Axle or independent?

I want to buy a machine to travel off trail in Montana elk hunting. Should I be buying a solid axle or independent suspension and why? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

IRS and EFI, check out the Suzuki KingQuad 450. Great quad!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

All depends on what you define as "off-trail". If you can, I'd go with an IRS quad. You get much more ground clearance and it handles big bumps/ruts better.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IRS has its place. The advantages are higher ground clearance and a smoother ride in rocky terrain. The disadvantages are extra weight and complexity, it can sag under load (like a big game animal!), and many models will "dive" on the low side when they are ridden off-camber.

For most situations, I prefer SRA because of ligher weight and a more stable, sporty ride.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

I've had a few of each. SRA shines for more sporty riding - power slides etc. SRA also tows a trailer better as your hitch is mounted below the suspension and doesn't sag.

IRS is the way to go for technical riding especially in rocks or mud. The extra ground clearence can be the difference between getting stuck or not as well as the ability to keep all four wheels in contact wtih the ground longer. As an added bonus, the comfort level is much better after a long ride with IRS.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jaybeecon55
I've had a few of each. SRA shines for more sporty riding - power slides etc. SRA also tows a trailer better as your hitch is mounted below the suspension and doesn't sag.

IRS is the way to go for technical riding especially in rocks or mud. The extra ground clearence can be the difference between getting stuck or not as well as the ability to keep all four wheels in contact wtih the ground longer. As an added bonus, the comfort level is much better after a long ride with IRS.
Thank you.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:01 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You can power slide a IRS easily,most have a sway bar that allows it to. I had two Straight axles,a 350 Big Bear and a 450 Foreman ,I was ons sore person after long rides on those. IRS is like riding your living room sofa down the trails in comparison.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Originally Posted by TLC
You can power slide a IRS easily,most have a sway bar that allows it to.
It is hillarious how some manufacturers put IRS on a quad, then give it a swaybar to turn it back into an SRA so it is rideable......

Lots of my buddies have the top of the line big bore IRS machines. For the most part, they feel like sloppy mushboxes to me! You get them off-camber and the downhill side dives....just what you don't need when you are negotiating a tight trail that runs along a hundred foot dropoff. If all one does is cruise trails however, then a senior citizen cruiser couch may be the hot setup!

Old 09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger
a senior citizen cruiser couch may be the hot setup!
That would be the Sportsman 850 XP. A very capable, albeit expensive, ATV.

I prefer IRS to SRA for technically difficult terrain, as there is less tendancy to lift tires off the ground on uneven ground. The extra ground clearance and ride quality are added benefits.
DV

Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If this was a straight axle its seat and rider would be on one heck of a angle to the right, as its rear diff would hits every rock on the trail thats taller then 5 " hight and every bump would go through your spine at the same time.

Name:  IRSAvantage.jpg
Views: 13713
Size:  76.8 KB

Quick Reply: Solid Axle or independent?