Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Mid-Size Trail Machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Honda does best compared to the other manufactures, is keep the center of gravity low....for a safer more stable ride! That may not mean much to those who just wallow around in mud holes all day, but for those of us who ride highly technical mountain terrain where you are going to dump it off a 100' cliff if you roll it, it means life and death!

The trend with other manufacturers, is to try to achieve a cush ride by giving the customer tall long travel suspension. Then folks throw on huge tires, and make it even worse. Honda on the other hand, makes the most of short travel suspension that doesn't leave you teetering way up in the air somewhere. I ride easily where my buddies on their big bore long travel monsters, fear to tread....

Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When was a the last time a "non" belt drive ATV won any shoot out or comparison in any Utiltiy ATV comparison? If the Utility ATV is the badest in its class chances are high its a belt drive.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
When was a the last time a "non" belt drive ATV won any shoot out or comparison in any Utiltiy ATV comparison? If the Utility ATV is the badest in its class chances are high its a belt drive.
Maybe true....but as we all should know by now, the so-called 'shoot-outs' are not much more than advertising for the latest and greatest. In a real-world situation MANY folks prefer the Honda for it's reliability and low intensity care of the tranny. I ride a Polaris (still in the short term as of yet) but certainly see a value in the Honda ATV product. Besides, the "best" ATV out there involves more than a belt drive tranny or a low center of gravity....it's the riders SKILL that is far more important in my opinion. Same with any motorized vehicle of near equal capability. I've seen guys ride around and do extremely difficult trails in a flawless fashion with ten year old, so called 'antique and underpowered' Honda's....and then watch a person ride a brand new, highly capable, modern tech ATV, look like a total doofus as they can barely manage an off-camber hillside.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know TLC, I've read alot of those shootout but theres usually parts of the shootout that dont apply to my riding style and terrain. One of the latest tests of 6 or 7 different machines, all midsize 350-450cc's. They raved about almost every aspect of the 420 Rancher manual shift with p.s. heres the link Honda Rancher 4x4 - ATV Rider Magazine

It reads like the honda would have won if not for it's shocks. It was the BEST handling machine, corners like it's on a rail. The atv's with long travel plush suspension and IRS handled poorly for the most part , a lot of front end push and body roll. As I'm sure you know TLC theres a lot of difference between suspension and handling. I've made a decision to buy a 420 Rancher foot shift and P.S. .
If I am that unhappy with the shocks I've already decided to pop for Elka shocks (approx a grand).I read in another forum where a guy did this with his 350 Rancher and the improvment was huge. Some people may say I'm crazy to buy a new atv then spend a grand more for top of the line type shocks but I don't think it's any crazier then the people that ride in the deep south type terrain that spend way more then that for lift kits , 26 or 27 in. tires and alloy rims to end up with a machine that's only good for one thing, mud bog riding. You couldn't pay me to ride a 9'' travel Polaris with a 2'' lift and 27'' tires in the places I go, a unit like that would be stopped dead in it's tracks, totally worthless.
So when I get my new Honda and Elka shocks if I need them then I'm only left with figuring out how to shave a little weight off (25 or so pounds) and I'll have just about the ideal machine for my uses and areas I ride. I agree with your input Recon. It seems you ride similar terrain and need the same qualities in a trail ride atv.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Clearly....magazine shootouts don't influence sales in any significant way. How many times over and over in here do we hear everyone say that the magazines are ignorant...unless maybe they tell you what you already wanted to hear...

It is the SALES SHOOTOUT that the HONDA RANCHERS have consistently won for over a decade now (and the old 300 for a decade before that!)....AND THAT IS THE SHOOTOUT THAT REALLY COUNTS!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Red Rider

The Ranchers got preload adjustable shocks this year, which has been a long time coming!

The reason Honda has not offered fully adjustable shocks over the years relates to legal issues. If someone misadjusted the shocks then loaded the rack down with a bunch of weight, then there could be trouble (legal trouble for Honda). But....I think they are realizing that the "true work quad" application is very very limited, and that most folks are trail riders who want performance. And, like has been mentioned, whether sport quad or utility, there is an aftermarket out there that will give you anything your heart desires!