Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

About to take the plunge and buy a 4-wheeler. Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wonder if the rancher would be worth the Extra cash over the sportsman. Especially since it doesn't have a locker. I was talking to a buddy of mine a few minutes ago and he asked me if I had looked at can-am. He said they were nice and used ann aircraft grade engine. Anyone familiarf with. Them?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Son has a CanAm Renegade. Probably the best cross between a utility machine and a sport quad in my mind. Crazy fast for a 500cc, handles a bit lighter than a utility, still has low gear and 4wd. The downside of the CanAm line for me is the main frame. I feel it's a bit on the weak side. There are actual aftermarket fixes for the frame that are either made out of metal or high density plastic. They fit inside the frame box and stiffen it up. CanAm usually has best power per cc and a high price tag too. My son's Renegade also gets tons better gas mileage than my Sportsman X2.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is a little delay with the front end on hondas, but most of the time it works very well. Their dual clutch automatic is really high tech.

The Griz has a manual locker, and a very good CVT system with a centrifugal/sprag clutch that is reliable and provides good engine braking. I've seen one of the 450's claw its way out of of a nasty mud hole. It was pretty impressive.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffinTD
Though I'm a fan of Honda, the 450 Griz is an impressive machine in that displacement class...
agreed. i love my hondas, but the new yamaha grizzly 450 has IRS, diff lock, EFI, and power steering...definitely worth looking at. good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by faruquehabib
agreed. i love my hondas, but the new yamaha grizzly 450 has IRS, diff lock, EFI, and power steering...definitely worth looking at. good luck!
All corret but no EFI No reson why it should not!!!!! All well it helps keep the cost down!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
All corret but no EFI No reson why it should not!!!!! All well it helps keep the cost down!
Pretty sure a guy at the Yamaha shop mentioned the other day that you can get the 450 with EFI. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

I stopped by my local polaris dealer today and took a test drive on the 500 HO. I thought it was nice. Seemed a little soft for a work quad. Kind of like riding a cadillac. Kind of cushy and bouncier than I expected but solid overall. I did not realize one brake control controlled all the brakes instead of front and rear. Guy was willing to give me the following deal.

MSRP = $5999
Discount $600
Total for quad - $5399
Snow Plow, 2500lb wench, mount, and push tube at cost = $849
Out the door after taxes for $6680.

Does this sound like a good deal on the 2010 Sportsman 500 HO? He had it in green and red. I was kind of tempted but want to get a better ride on the Grizzly 450 and the Rancher AT. However I don't expect to be able to get either of those at the price I was quoted on the Polaris.

Thoughts?

Also forgot to mention, IF I wanted financing he was offering 3.9% for 36 months.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Polaris is kind of funny. You read about people who've had them constantly in the shop, and you read or talk to other people who've racked up tens of thousands of miles on several machines with very few problems...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Go with the yamaha or honda...yamaha has better features.. Unless you plan to do some serious rock climbing or mudding the diff lock is a non issue really..I ride hondas and others ride everything else.. diff lock has never once been the difference between getting stuck or not in any situation I've been in..Mostly rider skill.. I would give a slight edge for the honda in reliability and the tranny doesn't use a belt.. now I know that belt can be very good and my friend swears by them but they just went for a ride 2 days ago and they had a pretty wet spot and his belt driven atv somehow got water on the belt and you know the rest.... I would consider both of them you really cant go wrong.. even the suzuki is is pretty good... The reason I wont recommend a Polaris probably ever is the things I have seen with my two eyes and I know you polaris guys love em..but I have seen some of the most retarded **** go wrong with them..they seem hit or miss on this forum.. In my circle all miss..

Quick Reply: About to take the plunge and buy a 4-wheeler. Suggestions