Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

About to take the plunge and buy a 4-wheeler. Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rode a 350 model Rancher, I haven't rode the new 420's or whatever they are now but I imagine they're not TOO much different. I myself have a Honda Recon which is basically a slimmed down Rancher. I can vouch for the Hondas being super durable. I ride mine ALL the time and have had 1 problem with it in 6 years and that was only with the electric shift, and I was able to fix it. The Rancher I rode a decent bit and had never had any problems with it either.

I've never rode much on Grizzlies but I have heard nothing but good things about them. The Rancher is a 5 speed and the Grizzlies I believe are automatic. That may be something to think about depending on what you're looking for. Either way, both seem like durable quads for hard work. I'd throw my vote for the Honda though since that's what I ride and have good experiences with them.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For what it is worth, the 420 is hugely different than the previous Ranchers. WAY more powerful, and more sporty. Rancher choices are 5 speed and electric shift 5 speed in solid rear axle, and a dual clutch automatic in independent rear suspension.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by blackwaterstout
I stopped by my local polaris dealer today and took a test drive on the 500 HO. I thought it was nice. Seemed a little soft for a work quad. Kind of like riding a cadillac. Kind of cushy and bouncier than I expected but solid overall. I did not realize one brake control controlled all the brakes instead of front and rear. Guy was willing to give me the following deal.

MSRP = $5999
Discount $600
Total for quad - $5399
Snow Plow, 2500lb wench, mount, and push tube at cost = $849
Out the door after taxes for $6680.

Does this sound like a good deal on the 2010 Sportsman 500 HO? He had it in green and red. I was kind of tempted but want to get a better ride on the Grizzly 450 and the Rancher AT. However I don't expect to be able to get either of those at the price I was quoted on the Polaris.

Thoughts?

Also forgot to mention, IF I wanted financing he was offering 3.9% for 36 months.

I'd say you are probably within a couple of hundred bucks of a very good deal. I think the lowest they'd go on the bike is probably $5200. I don't have a plow so I can't really confirm for you if that is a good deal or not. I can tell you that if the winch and other items are getting installed as part of the deal, it sure does sound like you are pretty close.

You may want to take another day or so and see if you can reach a similar deal at another dealer if there is one within a reasonable distance. And, like you were saying, you still may want to take a ride on a couple of other machines, just so you can cement your decision.

You're also correct about the price... you probably will not get that deal on the other bikes. In fact, I have yet to run across a 2011 model year Grizzly 450 in stock at any of the dealers I've visited. You will have a very hard time getting them to negotiate much off the list price if you can find one (2011 model with the EPS).

Relative to reliability... I wish there were some good stats somewhere in which this was measured. I have no doubt that you would have a better chance with a Honda than other brands. And I say this because I know many folks that have had theirs for years and years... they just seem to keep going. I"ve had my sportsman for about 7 years. I don't beat it and I maintain it myself well. I take care of the belt - almost to a fault. You'll read about this in your manual if you buy the Sportsman... follow this rule. Keep it cleaned and greased (the quad, not the belt), and keep an eye on your CV boots. Biggest issue you'll have the likelihood of running into will be electrical. Speak to your dealer about this. He might be able to do a few things with you if you choose to get it. And keep an eye on the battery charge. Battery power can creep up on you if you leave the bike idle for a couple of weeks. Very frustrating. That's why I mentioned the trickle charger or tender in an earlier post. I wish I could guarantee you no issues, but I can't. Don't think you could get that from any brand, though. But if you take care of it; break it in the right way and really get into the maintenance stuff, you should be just fine. (I am not a brand loyalist - I hope you are comfortable with whatever you decide to get and be proud of it and enjoy it with your family)

And, again, sorry for the ridiculously long post.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Trailblazer

I test drove a 450 Grizz last night. I liked it. Size wise it felt similar to the Sportsman. But had a different ride feel to it. I kind of liked it. Felt a little more responsive. The dealer I drove it at would sell for $6599 however a volume dealer a little further away that I've heard great things about quoted me $5850 for the same quad. So right now that would make the Grizz $450 more than the Sportsman 500 HO.

Also looked at the 550 Grizz. I realy liked that. It's the same size as the 700 only with a smaller displacement engine. Cool thing about it was that it had both Fuel Injection and EPS. Priced at $7195 though

The volume dealer quoted me $6395 for the 450 with EPS so that would be a $500 upgrade to Power steering which would come in handy for snow plowing.

Decisions decisions................

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I test drove a 450 Grizz last night. I liked it. Size wise it felt similar to the Sportsman. But had a different ride feel to it. I kind of liked it. Felt a little more responsive. The dealer I drove it at would sell for $6599 however a volume dealer a little further away that I've heard great things about quoted me $5850 for the same quad. So right now that would make the Grizz $450 more than the Sportsman 500 HO.

Also looked at the 550 Grizz. I realy liked that. It's the same size as the 700 only with a smaller displacement engine. Cool thing about it was that it had both Fuel Injection and EPS. Priced at $7195 though

The volume dealer quoted me $6395 for the 450 with EPS so that would be a $500 upgrade to Power steering which would come in handy for snow plowing.

Decisions decisions................
Good deal man! Test riding a quad says allot about the machine! JFYI the 550 Grizz engine is almost identical to the the 700 just with a different head and stroke! The 550 will pretty much run with a 700 tho the 700 has a little bit more punch to it. If you ride higher elevations I would go with the 700 for everything else the 550 is more than enough!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

blackwaterstout,

Not to muddy the waters, but you may want to see if you can find a 500 King Quad. They come with EPS, EFI, and all the other good stuff. You might find one for less money than the 550 Grizz.

Whatever the case, I would go with the Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Boss Man
blackwaterstout,

Not to muddy the waters, but you may want to see if you can find a 500 King Quad. They come with EPS, EFI, and all the other good stuff. You might find one for less money than the 550 Grizz.

Whatever the case, I would go with the Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda.
Thanks. Thats a quad I hadn't looked at before. MY volume dealer does not have any in stock so I'm not sure what he sells those for. I watched an ATV magazine review of the quad on youtube and they really liked it. Only downsides they found here that the racks were too small and they didn't like how all the maintainance elements (air filter, oil check, etc) were covered by screw-in plastic planels that made maintainance a PITA. I will call my dealer and see what he sells them for. I know he sells the 450AXI (without EPS) for $5695. So that might put the 500 up in the low 6k's.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

I have a lead on a used quad and wanted to get your opinion. It's a 2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660, 1200 miles, Snow Plow, 3000lb warn winch, and an extended seat with storage compartment. I don't have an exact price yet from her but I beleive it to be under $3000. Does this sound okay? What woudl you guyess this to be worth. IT's supposed to be in "great shape" and was used around a farm.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I have a lead on a used quad and wanted to get your opinion. It's a 2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660, 1200 miles, Snow Plow, 3000lb warn winch, and an extended seat with storage compartment. I don't have an exact price yet from her but I beleive it to be under $3000. Does this sound okay? What woudl you guyess this to be worth. IT's supposed to be in "great shape" and was used around a farm.
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I would ask the guys at Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum that ride them and see what they have to say and for what to look for!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I would ask the guys at Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum that ride them and see what they have to say and for what to look for!
Thanks. I registered over there and asked the same question.

I do have updated info. The quad is actually a 2006 but it unfortunately has 2050 miles and 300 hours on it. Sounds kind of high. Will probably go see it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: About to take the plunge and buy a 4-wheeler. Suggestions