Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

About to take the plunge and buy a 4-wheeler. Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the thing, im not brand loyal like some... but i will defend against brand bashing! if you can get a king quad 450 for the same price or cheaper then the grizzly 450 id go for it

Old 10-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by blackwaterstout

I'm leaning toward the KQ simply because i think it offers the best features/performance/price ratio of anything out there. In most cases i can get a fuel injected KQ AXI for the price of a carborated equivlent grizzly. I'd also get a bike thats physically a little bigger to fit my frame and like the Grizzly i'd have 100% complete control over the 4wd options unlike the polaris. I admittly still havent ridden a KQ but lots of reviews I've read say its one of the bedst.
I know I love my King. The last one I had for 7 years and only put a starter and one battery in it. Of course, I'm a maintenance freak, so it was well maintained... but ridden pretty hard. Over the years, I've had a couple of other quads mentioned in this thread... and didn't have much luck with them... but some other folks have had better luck.

I think the Grizz is a fine quad too. I almost bought one last year, but liked the King a little better for a couple of the reasons you mentioned... plus I got a great price.

Good luck and enjoy your ride whatever it might be.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

As I've said before, Suzuki seems to be the best bang for the buck right now. Good features, good reliability, and a good price. Works for me if I was looking for a single rider machine. I just got back from a 50 mile ride with sand, deep mud, water, and rocks. A 2002 Polaris Sporstman 500 that has only had to have a battery replaced, my 2006 Polaris X2 that has had only one small issue over its now 2600 trouble free miles, a Suzuki King Quad 450 that did just about every mudhole I went through, and a Honda Foreman that the guy chose to skirt most of the mudholes. You know what, none of us had any issues or have had any issues while riding except when my son had a Polaris ATP where he heated up the belt because he was driving consistently under 10 mph in high range. (Something every maker that uses belts warns about) In all my riding I've only seen a handful of quads broken down. Most were pre-2000. Every manufacturer had a couple I've seen on the side of the trail. This has been with 2600 miles of riding harsh areas. I have to say that other than when the makers come out with a new product line, and they have a few "new model" issues that need to be ironed out, they are all good products now. Especially, 400 ccs and up. Some of the smaller ones are suspect that are made in China. Get what you want from a major brand. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
As I've said before, Suzuki seems to be the best bang for the buck right now. Good features, good reliability, and a good price. Works for me if I was looking for a single rider machine. I just got back from a 50 mile ride with sand, deep mud, water, and rocks. A 2002 Polaris Sporstman 500 that has only had to have a battery replaced, my 2006 Polaris X2 that has had only one small issue over its now 2600 trouble free miles, a Suzuki King Quad 450 that did just about every mudhole I went through, and a Honda Foreman that the guy chose to skirt most of the mudholes. You know what, none of us had any issues or have had any issues while riding except when my son had a Polaris ATP where he heated up the belt because he was driving consistently under 10 mph in high range. (Something every maker that uses belts warns about) In all my riding I've only seen a handful of quads broken down. Most were pre-2000. Every manufacturer had a couple I've seen on the side of the trail. This has been with 2600 miles of riding harsh areas. I have to say that other than when the makers come out with a new product line, and they have a few "new model" issues that need to be ironed out, they are all good products now. Especially, 400 ccs and up. Some of the smaller ones are suspect that are made in China. Get what you want from a major brand. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

i agree

Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by sportszillasheex
550 Grizzly VS. 680 RINCON - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum check out the kind comments about the sportsman 500.... almost as fast as the 550 grizzly... and these are grizzly owners and loyalists!!
A 500 as fast as a 550 Griz???? Come on now not even the 550 Polaris XP is as quick as the 550 Grizz! The 550 I have test rode is just about as quick as my 700 without the low end punch that the 700 provides.

Here be sure to read to the end of the post where the actual artical is posted.
ATV Action Mag does a 500-550 shootout Oct 2010 ** WARNING SPOILER** - Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

I will agree bickering does not matter. What does matter is what works for you and for your needs! Good luck with you QK 450 sure it will be a great bike for years to come. Enjoy!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
A 500 as fast as a 550 Griz???? Come on now not even the 550 Polaris XP is as quick as the 550 Grizz! The 550 I have test rode is just about as quick as my 700 without the low end punch that the 700 provides.

Here be sure to read to the end of the post where the actual artical is posted.
ATV Action Mag does a 500-550 shootout Oct 2010 ******** WARNING SPOILER******** - Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

I will agree bickering does not matter. What does matter is what works for you and for your needs! Good luck with you QK 450 sure it will be a great bike for years to come. Enjoy!

again, blinded by the blue light . i just showed you a topic in a GRIZZLY FORUM where guys said the 500 has great acceleration but yet you'll sit there and deny it! unbelievable. as far as the 550 being slower, a tenth is a mere quad length and it depends on which magazine did the test on which is faster. you'll argue till your BLUE in the face though, so good day

Old 10-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

So a topic on a form makes things gospel????? That theory is about as dead as this tread! At least I have proof to my testimony that is more than just hearsay on some forum! By the way that flash of blue light was a Grizz 550 passing you on your 500 Popo!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Pro Rider

it isnt a fact big guy. years ago polaris reliability was suspect at best, but i wouldnt say that now! they have come a loooong way since then. no i wont say they are the most reliable quads now, but least? they're all reliable these days! maybe one reason honda is so reliable is because they have hardly any features? electric shift gremlins still happen, why? didnt they have it since te 98 450es foreman??? my god shouldnt it be bullet proof by now? o im sorry i insulted honda... by the way out of all the polaris' i had 1 needed a coil and the other i dont even remember it was so long ago... my father and i take on quad repairs once and awhile and we see the japs just as often as polaris, must be "good luck" get real
Whatever man say what you will.. I don't care what brand you insult as long as it is at least kinda factual. I'm still not gonna pretend all the brands are just as good as each other and hold everyone little baby hands. Your the one having a cow because I don't think polaris ATV's are as reliable as the JAP quads. Maybe you should grow up or just deal with it. Maybe have some warm milk and take a nap or something.

You can write whatever you want I'm not responding to this thread anymore.. Sorry Blackwater about all this but I tried to help LOL The suzuki is a nice machine.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
So a topic on a form makes things gospel????? That theory is about as dead as this tread! At least I have proof to my testimony that is more than just hearsay on some forum! By the way that flash of blue light was a Grizz 550 passing you on your 500 Popo!

you're one of those insecuere guys that has to impress everybody with his full featured toys i bet arent you? my quad has power steering and efi yuck yuck! guess what stupid, when that power steering breaks its a $1000 part! heres hoping yours breaks... but on topic id believe what those level headed people said in the grizzly forum then some guy who reccomends yamaha in every disscussion and thinks yamaha is god. lets see the 550 has the same hp as an efi 500 sportsman, but weighs about 80 lbs less, sounds like the grizzly should win, but you make it llike the win should have the polaris looking like its tied to a stump! you're an insecure man who has to talk up his toys ad there bells and whistles to justify your purchase PERIOD!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

you're one of those insecuere guys that has to impress everybody with his full featured toys i bet arent you? my quad has power steering and efi yuck yuck! guess what stupid, when that power steering breaks its a $1000 part! heres hoping yours breaks... but on topic id believe what those level headed people said in the grizzly forum then some guy who reccomends yamaha in every disscussion and thinks yamaha is god. lets see the 550 has the same hp as an efi 500 sportsman, but weighs about 80 lbs less, sounds like the grizzly should win, but you make it llike the win should have the polaris looking like its tied to a stump! you're an insecure man who has to talk up his toys ad there bells and whistles to justify your purchase PERIOD!
Well you can argue all you want but at least I dont need to resort to calling people names because of my insecurities of not knowing what I am talking about! As they say proof is in the pudding! PS I dont need to prove anything to anybody I just thank god everyday that I amble to afford and by things I want and not what people tell me I need!

Quick Reply: About to take the plunge and buy a 4-wheeler. Suggestions