Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV vs garden tractor for pulling small logs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ATV vs garden tractor for pulling small logs

Hello, I need some help deciding on the correct machine to pull small firewood logs (12' long). Should I look for an ATV or a small garden tractor. I have uneven hilly terrain and need to haul the logs a short distance, but up a fairly steep hill (35%).I know I need 4WD because it is often not dry under the forest canopy. I like the versatility of an ATV but don't want to worry about the constant pulling on the transmission. Anybody have any thoughts, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks

Old 10-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

If you need 4WD, go with an ATV that has low range and good low end gearing. If you use low range (and you better), you shouldn't have to worry about the trani of belt. If you get a honda, you won't even have to worry about the belt.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

Thanks for the reply. So you would go with an ATV over a small tractor as long as it's a 4WD? I've seen a guy hauling brush on an ATV with a trailer and it looked to be pulling it fairly easily, but it was on wheels and not dragging it on the ground. Hauling an ATV and a trailer across sloped terrain may be a little too difficult. Still unsure which would be better.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

It would take a big 2wd or a decent sized awd mower to climb a hill that a 4wd atv would climb. I wouldn't worry about the atv as long as you use low.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TDCo
Thanks for the reply. So you would go with an ATV over a small tractor as long as it's a 4WD? I've seen a guy hauling brush on an ATV with a trailer and it looked to be pulling it fairly easily, but it was on wheels and not dragging it on the ground. Hauling an ATV and a trailer across sloped terrain may be a little too difficult. Still unsure which would be better.
Again, as long as the ATV has LOW RANGE (there are a number that don't), or is a standard, or electric shift with a good low gear, it should pull the logs fine.

I doubt that a Garden tractor would do any better on sloped terrain. However, if the terrain is that severe, maybe you shouldn't be using either?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

See YouTube - Skidder, skidder, I don't need no skidder
I've done this many, many times. I'm still using the same belt the quad came with. Over 2500 miles now. This log was about the smallest of the ones I pulled into the clearing a week ago. The key to belt longevity is keeping the quad in low when pulling heavy weights or going slow in mud or nasty terrain. When pulling with a belt drive you will lose traction way before your belt blows. I've dug 4 holes in the ground many times trying to pull things.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

i would go with a 4x4 atv with low range and a skidder trailer. it is less stress on your transmission and i have used them before and they work great. you can get them at northern tool and equipment.

Northern Industrial ATV Log Skid Arch and Holder | Log Skidding | Northern Tool + Equipment