Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

help pls! honda recon or yamaha wolverine???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd also go with the Wolverine. Having the 4wd when you need it is nice and over a 100ccs more engine is a good thing too. Recon is super reliable and a great quad to learn on. Friends have one that has been passed down through several riders. But, I'd still go for the 4wd and bigger engine.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been brought to our attention, and some of us made the same mistake, that the Wolverine appears to be 2wd with the 350cc engine. Its basically a raptor 350 with an auto tranny.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe you are right RL
The 450 Woolverine is the 4x4 model.
The Honda Recon is the same as the Honda 250X (250EX) just with different plastics.
That is what my wife started on, she rode it for about 4 years and now has a 400EX

Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Honda fan and I would tell you to choose the Wolverine of those are your only two choices.

The Recon is the same as the 250EX. I had one for my girlfriend and it was an excellent machine to learn on, but she outgrew it in 4 months. If you buy the Recon you will love it, but want something bigger very soon.

If you have the chance, look at a '06 or '07 Honda Rancher. You can probably find one in great condition for under $3K with 4X4 and they are a great mid-size machine. Great power and 4X4. Easy and fun to ride and perfect for almost all beginner to experienced riders. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone! after reading your opinions, i decided to go for the wolvy instead of the recon but i ended up with a 2011 trx250x

my reason are: i like the wolvy better and the trx looked like the wolvy somehow. and i'm a 5'4 slim girl who weight not more than 95lbs and the wolvy was just too heavy and big for me and the trx was lighter and smaller and fits me perfectly. besides, after test driving both, i like the sportclutch a lot better than wolvy's auto. it'll help me learn how to use a clutch and i just seem to like how the trx rides. and i got the only black one around here and with a good deal, its not bad for a 2011. My husband who tried riding it also when we took it in 5mile yesterday said it rides really good and is powerful for a small thing although its small for him but he enjoyed riding it as much as he enjoyed riding his cr250r. so basically its perfect for me to go riding with my hubby and son on their dirt bikes. and we just decided we'll just probably get a big 4x4 atv one next time to go fourwheeling in the mountains with our jeeps.

anyways, again thanks for all your replies. appreciate it

Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kuting
thanks everyone! after reading your opinions, i decided to go for the wolvy instead of the recon but i ended up with a 2011 trx250x

anyways, again thanks for all your replies. appreciate it

Congrats! and we wanna see pics of you and the family enjoying your new atv!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. At 95lbs, that 250 should fly. I'm sure its an excellent choice. Be sure to come back and give a review.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
Congrats! and we wanna see pics of you and the family enjoying your new atv!
Yes pics are always great! I ride a CR250r most of the time anymore and would love pics!

Sounds like you chose a great machine for youself. Those are very reliable as well and you shouldn't have any problems with it. Feel free to come back and ask questions or tell stories.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

That is a really good choice, those things are bullet proof!
As I stated before, my wife started on the 250EX, this was when my son and I were both riding dirtbikes and she just couldn't handle a bike. So we got her the 250EX so she could go along on the rides with us.
I got her the 400EX for her 50th B-Day and now she can climb the biggest dunes we come across.
The 250X is great for the trails, with the sport clutch you are never going to stall it. Great choice!!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like the perfect quad for you and your family. Have a great time.

Quick Reply: help pls! honda recon or yamaha wolverine???