Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

700 or 450 sport quad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 or 450 sport quad?

I have been riding quads(utility type) for about a year now and am determined to get a sport quad because it meets my needs. I can't decide on whether to get a 700 or a 450 as I do not fully understand their benefits and drawbacks. I am looking to get a Raptor 700, a honda trx450, or a yamaha yfz450. I ride mainly in the app. mountains and also the foothills on the east coast. I like to go fast, lets get that out there. I like to take turns fast. I need a quad with good response because i ride tight trails with lots of turns. I like to be able to negotiate where i want to go, get some tail slides going and stuff like that. I like to do hill climbs too so i feel like having a very torquey bike, with power on demand, will benefit me more. That is why I am leaning towards the Raptor. It seems to fit me well. It doesnt have to stay in that powerband that 450's do. I realize that the 700 is a bit top heavy so i would have to lower it a bit, but that isnt a big issue. My main concern is weight. I understand that the 450's are about 100 pounds lighter and I am wondering if the weight makes a difference in your opinions. I will not be doing very many jumps, although I may in the future. Thanks for spending the time to help me out.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome! Actually they are closer in weight then you would think. 2011 Yamaha Raptor 700R ATVs

With that said I dont know where people get the notion that 700 is top heavy. Most of that cam from the old Raptor 660. Yes the 700 is taler than a 450 but there is a larger engine under there causing that. The 700 makes for a GREAT trail quad much better than any 450 out there. Less maintenance and much more lower end power is what you need for a trail quad and that is where the 700 excels best. I ride mine out here in Co one very rocky, tight trails and absolutely love it!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disclaimer: While I have ridden both the 660 and 700 Raptor, I own, love, and xc race my original style YFZ.

Raptor pros: Torquey, somewhat less maintenance, softer ride, more comfort, plenty of power for just about any play riding.

YFZ pros: Better handling, sharper "edge," prefers to go at a spirited pace. You will not have a problem with hillclimbs or tight woods with the original, or the newer style "X" quad, they were made for the tight stuff. In fact, mine actually sits about an inch wider than stock and still works great.

TRX will be close to the YFZ, and the '04/'05 models had the best woods/recreational suspension and motor package. This will be the cheapest to buy new right now most likely.

Any one will suit what you are looking for, and all can be upgraded via aftermarket to address any shortcomings you feel your choice may have.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure that this community will be a big help to me. Also thanks for your input. I'm still leaning towards the Raptor, especially because of the reverse. Looking back, I realize how much I have used reverse. Anyways, anyone else who wants to pitch in their two cents, or more, feel free to go ahead. I work for minimum wage so there is plenty of time for one of y'all to change my mind, seeing how I wont have the money till about august, being generous.