Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New from Dealer, but shows used on Purchase Order

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sumptn' ain't right here...
Waitn' for a post back after dealer call...

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

From what I'm reading from here, off road vehicles are taxable. However, it also says it's is the responsibility of the dealer to collect those charges.

"Dealers are responsible for collecting sales tax on the VIT and documentary fee charged in connection with the sale of an off-road vehicle."

So you are correct that you shouldn't pay sales tax to get it titled in Texas.

And I also guess this means I'm not getting any money back too.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Interesting. When I got my kfx out of the crate from the dealer, I got hit with sales tax. Same with the wife's trail blazer and the magnum. Also bought a used can am from a dealer. Got taxed on that too.

Gonna guess that 4 years later is too late for a refund.
Haha,
Yes, I do suppose it is, but why so many did not know this. It has to be strickly off road. Maybe I am getting away with something, lol. Well, its happened on 4 off road vehicles, but I had to tell them there was no sales tax as they were going to charge me. Best thing to do is confirm with Title and licensing in your state. Ernie

Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
From what I'm reading from here, off road vehicles are taxable. However, it also says it's is the responsibility of the dealer to collect those charges.

"Dealers are responsible for collecting sales tax on the VIT and documentary fee charged in connection with the sale of an off-road vehicle."

So you are correct that you shouldn't pay sales tax to get it titled in Texas.

And I also guess this means I'm not getting any money back too.
Thanks for checking that out. Maybe I was just lucky, but all the guys in the club never got taxed either. Let me check more and I encourage all to check. Don't quote me. I only take care of me and pass on what takes place with me. Good luck to anyone that can do it!!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by RickB
Sumptn' ain't right here...
Waitn' for a post back after dealer call...
My Friend - I just got off the phone with Tisdale title and Licensing in Universal City Tx. and I doubled checked and if you live in texas and buy an off road ATV, You DO NOT pay sales tax. So many out there are doubting it and it almost had me convinced, but I bought a new Can Am in Ohio and NO Tax. You have to inform them its off road. Thankyou and please do keep checking to satisfy your own curiousity. We need a break where ever we can get it. Thanks my friend. Ernie

Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Guess in my case it wouldn't matter anyway. The price I paid from mine were all OTD prices. So they could figure whatever they wanted back in to them as long as I came out with the price I requested.

The kfx was in the crate when I bought it. At first they were trying to add assembly and shipping charges. I pointed out none of their sales were made in Japan, or unassembled. They took my quoted priced and worked everything backwards. And still included those two charges. I guess they get that back from the manufacturer or maybe they somehow have to show they charged it for their tax purposes.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

Congrats on not having to pay sales tax! That's a great savings. I buy my ATV's a Dirt Bikes across the state line in West Virginia. They're sales tax fee like TX on off-road vehicles.

Friend, my comment on something not sounding right was directed to the Ohio dealer antics. Selling a previously owned vehicle to you as "new" and then seeming to not keep in line with that claim after the sale. Maybe they can finagle the paperwork in such away to make it reflect sold as "new" on paper, but you sir bought a used ATV. Justify it however you like by price, availability or extra accessories included.... But a vehicle that has been sold, ridden for 150 miles, sold back and sold again, is by definition is "used"....

I recently bought a new Can-Am Renegade. I've owned it now over a month, taken it on one out of state riding trip and rode many afternoons on the trails around my property. I have 90 miles on the odometer and 9 hours on the machine. I find it hard to consider a machine with 150 miles on the clock as "new". Hope the previous owner or the selling dealer did the 10 hour "break-in" maintenance on your machine...

Honestly, I hope things work out for you...