Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New from Dealer, but shows used on Purchase Order

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New from Dealer, but shows used on Purchase Order

I bought a new 2011 Can Am Outlander Max 800X MR with 149 miles on it from a Dealer in Jackson Ohio. The sales person told me I would have the remaining 2yr. warranty on it and that it was NEW as long as it was never Titled or registared by a buyer. Case being someone bought it and brought it right back and bought a Commander 900. Now my bank gets the Purchase order and its blank except for personal info and total price. The total price was varified by the bank and myself to cover document fee, title transfer and freight. There is no sales tax in Texas if its an off road vehicle. BUT, the Purchase order did have two xx's by USED VEHICLE. What gives? Is it new or used? Do I lose my warranty after he said it was new and that I would be covered? Dot also states NEW as being at a dealer and never titled or registared to another buyer. What are my options or legalities if they do not honor the warranty and for putting used when they said new. Why did they leave everything blank except the total purchase price? Why not itemize?? They are in Ohio, I'm in Texas. Can't talk to them till tues.. Please advise. Thankyou!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ...

Hmm...

Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Why?

I am from Ohio...I would not buy a quad from Texas...why did you buy a quad from a state that is not local? I hope you got a good deal...to me the quad would have been titled if someone was able to put almost 150 miles on it! How long did this guy have it before he brought it back? Usually you get your memorandum title fairly quickly...

I would say that if they marked used on the paperwork it is considered used...I would definitely contact the dealership ASAP and figure out what the hell is going on. On a side note-how are you getting this quad? Hope you don't have to drive here to pick it up-or pay for shipping!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's used because it had a previous owner. The dealer lied when he said it's new.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

No sales tax in Texas on a off road vehicle?

Maybe because it was out of state. Wait till you try to get a Texas title.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Was this an internet deal?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
I am from Ohio...I would not buy a quad from Texas...why did you buy a quad from a state that is not local? I hope you got a good deal...to me the quad would have been titled if someone was able to put almost 150 miles on it! How long did this guy have it before he brought it back? Usually you get your memorandum title fairly quickly...

I would say that if they marked used on the paperwork it is considered used...I would definitely contact the dealership ASAP and figure out what the hell is going on. On a side note-how are you getting this quad? Hope you don't have to drive here to pick it up-or pay for shipping!
Mudslinger - Case in point: I bought it from Ohio because of price and it included a Can Am passenger seat and with document fee, title transfer and freight ($800 split between us), that is the sole reason. Here in Tx. most dealers can not get them and if they do its over $14,000 out the door without a $700 Can am seat. I have one of the best atv mechanics around in our club so working on them is not a problem. We all buy from out of town if its a better deal. I have had great success from buying out of town. $11,800 was final price on this and I will have it on the 15th. I do appreciate your input. I have had four mud machines. Never paid a cent on tax on any of them. This is texas and its off road. Don't know about other states, but Ohio would have to go with what state you are titling in. You don't need a title, but its wise to have one for theft purposes and resale. However if it is titled you do have to have insurance and that is wise also. I have had one stolen without. Ouch! Thanks! Ernie PS. Yes I will get it all straightened out tomorrow. There obviously trying to work the paperwork to safe a buck themselves, but its what they tell me 1st, then do this. Whats it all mean? We will find out

Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
It's used because it had a previous owner. The dealer lied when he said it's new.
I understand the same, but the sales person said as long as it was never titled or registared and sold from a dealer as you being the 1st buyer (with title and registration), then he said, it is new. DOT states definition of "NEW" as same, but I will call DOT today and tomorrow the salesperson will have to answer. Only want what they promised. Otherwise I have no complaints and my insurance covers everything from sinking in mud and water to theft. Thankyou for your input and I tend to believe you are right, but when someone tells you something you expect it. Thanks! Ernie

Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
No sales tax in Texas on a off road vehicle?

Maybe because it was out of state. Wait till you try to get a Texas title.
No, I did not believe it when I went to a branch licencing and title Dept. and at 1st told me I had to pay tax. I called my club president and he stated "NO WAY" on an off road vehicle in Texas. We had to call downtown and clarify it. He was right. Havent' paid since. I have two very nice Can Ams. Both 2-ups and both made into very tough mud machines. Don't know about the new 2011 Can Am Outlander Max 800X MR yet and I won't get it for a couple weeks, but from what I read and see on UTube I believe I will be happy with that one. It will be like a cadillac compared to my 2008 Can Am 800cc LTD, but after riding a 2up and having a girlfriend I will never go back to a single seater again. Yes they are lots of fun and all atv's great if you like them. If they fit your needs. Haha, I once had an old John Deere tractor and the big boys would pass me on the farm road and laugh and wave. Thing is, mine would do anything theirs would, just not as fast and it was paid for. Thing being is it fit my needs.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Interesting. When I got my kfx out of the crate from the dealer, I got hit with sales tax. Same with the wife's trail blazer and the magnum. Also bought a used can am from a dealer. Got taxed on that too.

Gonna guess that 4 years later is too late for a refund.

Quick Reply: New from Dealer, but shows used on Purchase Order