Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

2 Seaters vs Regular

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Location: Halifax, Pa, USA, North America, Earth, ETC ETC ETC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Seaters vs Regular

Looking into buying an arctic Cat 450 TRV,

Just wondering if anyones noticed a down side to the extended atv and the extra weight of a passenger?

Thanks
Tyler

Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlauden
Looking into buying an arctic Cat 450 TRV,

Just wondering if anyones noticed a down side to the extended atv and the extra weight of a passenger?

Thanks
Tyler
personally- I wouldn't buy a 2-up under 650cc.

I rode an AC 450 2-up rental- was a dog with one person, can't imagine how bad it'll struggle with 2 people.

as for ride- the extra length requires a little extra thought when hitting the trails but overall- no issues. handling a 2up is a lot easier with a big bore motor.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You, This is the info I am looking for. Although it probably wont see much trail use i want it to be capable in case i do need it. Multiple times a year our Fire Dept is called out for search and rescue and if i get an ATV it would join the force

I will really consider getting a bigger engine, Would love the diesel but thats more $ than i would like to spend.

Too bad there's no way to test drive these puppies first...

Thanks for the input though!!!!!!
Tyler

Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlauden
Thank You, This is the info I am looking for. Although it probably wont see much trail use i want it to be capable in case i do need it. Multiple times a year our Fire Dept is called out for search and rescue and if i get an ATV it would join the force

I will really consider getting a bigger engine, Would love the diesel but thats more $ than i would like to spend.

Too bad there's no way to test drive these puppies first...

Thanks for the input though!!!!!!
Tyler
your choices are really limited as far as factory 2-up's- Only 3 manufacturers build a "legal" 2-up; Ac, Polaris and Can-am.

I absolutely love the "650 outlander max xt" 2-up. Lots of power, great handling, great on gas and very nimble in the trails- but they are a bit pricy.
The "Polaris sportsman 500 & 800 touring" is priced a bit lower, and still a great machine- I would choose either one of those before the AC- but I'm sure other's will have other opinions...

Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive looked at the Polaris's but them plastic racks seem kinda cheep... I like AC because they still have the metal racks, I guess ill really do some shopping around, i want a good reliable ATV, i guess i cant be cheap Ill look at the can-ams also, but im not sure of anyone in this area that sells them Got plenty of dealers for Kawasaki, and Polaris, and like i said Bass Pro has alot of AC's but i dont think ive ever seen a Can-am dealer local... hmm..

well, Thanks again
Tyler

Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a Polaris Sportsman X2. It has a dumpbox that has a seat built into it. You can convert between the dumpbox and seat in about 10 seconds. Dumpbox is nice for hauling. Has a true 400 lb. capacity. I have the older model with a 500. The only time I wish it had a bigger engine is long steep wide open hills or snowy open hills where a little more power would be better. On the newer models the 550 X2 is decent but the Touring 500 and 800 are best for their price ranges. Touring has a really comfortable seat. The CanAm 500 has more horsepower than the Polaris 500 but isn't as torquey down in the lower range.