Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

atv selection help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv selection help needed!

I am 44 years old and rode atv's and dirt bikes since I was about old enough to walk. Started on a honda mini-bike then a honda 90, atx 250 three wheeler, 86 honda 350, honda foreman and now a honda rancher. I use atv primarily to check crops, move between fields during planting and harvest, for pulling grain augers, spraying road ditches, yard work -etc. Would like to do more 2-up riding on trails with my wife.

In fall of 2009 I was diagnosed with colon cancer, had colon resection surgery, 12 chemo treatments and have been cancer free for going on 3 years. Trouble is the wear and tear of youth and health issues have left me with severe back and kidney pain for a couple days after riding my rancher. I think I need something with a very forgiving suspension because I WILL NOT GIVE UP RIDING A ATV!! Its my one passion and very essential to my farming operation.

Neighbor has a Can-am outlander xtp 650 and loves it. Rode it and it seems to have a very well made and cushy suspension. Trouble is he has only had it a short time and don't know what the reliability may be. Nearest can-am dealer is 125 miles so that is a little scary. They have a 2012 800 max xtp with updated tires worth an extra $800(don't remember what they are) and got them down to $13,000 but haven't comminted yet. Don't know if it's worth it to wait for the 2013 updates or look at yamaha or polaris?In over 30 years of riding hondas' the only major component I have replaced is a blown out muffler on my rancher.

I do my own maintenance and do not abuse my equipment but I do demand reliability because I operate miles from home in North Dakota where neighbors are few and far between and weather conditions can be adverse quite often.

I am 6'1", 200lbs and in reasonably fit condition. Can't think of any other particulars. Just need some honest, knowledgeable opinions which I know I can get here.

Last edited by north1; 06-16-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

If I was in the market for a 2-up it would be the Can-Am. Ever consider a SidexSide?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK the only 2-up machines are Can-Am, Polaris, and Arctic Cat. I haven't heard much good or bad about the Cats. Can-Ams are good quads but way too expensive for me. The Polaris touring is supposed to have the most comfortable passenger seat but the drivers seat isn't as cushy.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would give a sxs serious consideration.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't know much about the Arctic Cats either. The Can Ams Outlanders and Polaris Touring have very comfortable rides and are a good fit for 6'+ riders. I'd recommend the Polaris Sportsman X2 for your farm. It has a convertible dump box that changes into a passenger seat when needed. My only hesitation would be that you ride one first. Your back sounds worse than mine and the X2 has 400 lb. rated rear springs. May be worth a try.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

I'm an X2 owner and love the convenience of the dump bed converting to a two up. I would recommend riding each one; with a passenger to get a feel for what is right for you. From watching some Youtube videos on the comparisons between manufacturers the Polaris seems to win in both comfort, ride, and 4x4 traction.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Get a ATV with IRS and not all are the same, I rode a few IRS Grizzlies and it not quite a comfortable as my Sportsmans (Could be my cushioner wider seat) but all are very much better then any Straigh Axle.

I Just bought a straight Axle 350 4x4 Grizzly and boy it rides like a cement truck compared to my Sportsman. LOL

Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Trailblazer
Default 2 up purchase

Here was my recent experience.

I bought a new 2009 Polaris 500 EFI touring and then sold it within a year with 450 miles It was a good ATV. I soon discovered that my wife preferred to drive rather than be a passenger. In addition, I prefer to drive fast, mainly due to the trails I ride. If you are certain that she'll never want to drive and u have a bunch of trails with wonderful scenery then I would recommend the Polaris.

Here are my overall experiences with the Polaris:
1. I bent a front lower A-arm because the Polaris guards are cheap. After that, I bought some WARN aftermarket.
2. It broke down, far from camp, due to water that entered the main electrical area. My particular model had to barrier between the ground and the box - a design flaw.
3. I got stuck a couple of times, due to the transmission setup. My old-school Prairie 360 never gets stuck because it has a manual posi-traction.
4. parts are expensive and harder to find on ebay. also, could never figure out why they took so long to arrive at the dealer.
5. a very nice ride, especially for the passenger.

I see very few one-ups where I ride. two years ago i'd see quite a few. It seems that everyone is getting those RZR side-by-sides.

Overall - DO YOUR RESEARCH.