Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

one for her and one for him, feedback pls :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one for her and one for him, feedback pls :)

hi there, we are going to be first time ATV buyers and are a little lost with all the info and choices out there, so have come to the experts, you for help .. i think i should get something around a 400 or so for myself, 4x4, apparently with a winch on it to tow out the husband when he gets stuck in mud as he is more of a daredevil then me and I'm pretty sure i should have power steering to make it more enjoyable, but there seems to be different looking ones, 'sport' looking/zippier/lighter maybe (scrambler I think?) or bigger lunkier looking ones (sportsman?) etc. We will be going through woods and fields, no doubt mud and snow. It will not be used for any work other than pulling him out if stuck

He is jumping back and forth between a 4x4, 550 and an 850, he is not sure if he should go for the bigger one for more power or are they a lot harder on gas,or is it a minimal difference? should he also get power steering or are the sales guys just telling him to man up when he could be having a nicer ride too? He also is thinking maybe he should get a little plow, so what strength would be needed for that.

And one last comment: i read it is better to buy over the winter months instead of right now -october coming into hunting season.. i know its hard, but would it be better to hold off a few months and get better deals then?

thanks for any help!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Judging from the quads you've mentioned I think you're talking about the Polaris lineup. If you want power steering it's only available in the Sportsman machines. The "sporty" lineup doesn't have power steering that I know of. Polaris offers both the 550 and 850 with power steering. Polaris Quads: Sportsman Utility Four Wheelers & Sport ATVs shows you the Sportsman lineup. They have the 550 and 850 with power steering in Blue, Red, Stealth Black, and Camo. If he wants something a little sportier they now have the Scrambler 850 with power steering. The Limited Edition Sportsman models also come with a winch. If it is the Polaris brand I would avoid it and get a Warn or other brand name winch.