Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Advice on which ATV to get

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on which ATV to get

Hey all. I'm looking to buy an ATV and would like some input as to which one might be best for me.
General info: 1. looking for used for now 2. 4x4 a must 3. used mostly on new 5 acre property for working purposes some fun in between 4. primarily dirt and gravel - no swamps here - no rock climbing either 5. like reliable - will do what is necessary for maint. oil etc. 6. want power but won't be pulling up next to ya to race any time soon 7. I'm 6' 1" 220lbs 400 to 600cc range poss 8. like the possibilty of a tow hitch and winch hook up (may never use the winch but kinda cool - never know) 9. quality of ride might not be big factor - my mountain bike has no shocks 10. prob 5 to 10 years oldish
Any helpful info is appreciated
I'm in socal - goin on the internet there sure is a lot of stuff out east.
No brand loyalty - not yet at least

Last edited by Mr madmax1; 11-13-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Honda Rincon comes to mind. Good power and good reliability. I think they have a 680cc. Yamaha Grizzly 550. Good all around quad with good reliability. Suzuki King Quad. I think they have a 500 class and it's good all around. Polaris Sportsman 500 or newer 550 Sportsman XP. Best comfort, pretty bulletproof. Can-Am 500 or 650 Outlander. Best power per cc of any utility quad. Good handling and reliability. Kawasaki doesn't really have a 500 class machine and I'm not really up on Arctic Cats.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I always buy used, the problem is you do not find the ATV . Its whats out there for a good price and condition.

Any 350cc and up 4x4 utility will do what you want of it. All Utility ATVs have a tow hitch or atleast a place to mount a ball.

I wanted a 500 Suzuki Vinsion but could not find one when I came apon a mint condition Polaris 500H.O instead. I was looking for a 400 Suzuki Eiger/KQ when I came apon a mint condition 350 Yamaha Grizzly.
We can,t tell you what to buy. The area where your from and whats up for sale will tell you what to get.

You can give us a list of which used 4x4 you have available and we can tell you which is better though.

Really you biggest decision would be do you want a foot shifter or a full automatic, I had 3 foot shifting Utility ATVs and personally like not shifting better while riding.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any of the 500-class utility quads would fit your needs. Sportsman, Grizzly, etc. It's best to test ride what you can and at least sit on the others to see if they fit you.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default reply

Thanks for the responses. That makes sense - I believe if i'm looken for used I need to stay a little open minded in regards to brand. With that in mind do I need to think about rebuild or anything similar if it's 5 to 10 years old. Is it a mileage thing 1300 plus and it's time?? I do kinda favor the no foot shifting, but if the right one comes along......... If I come across some I'll throw it by ya to get your thoughts on price for what I'm getting.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

1300 miles is low for a ATV some people on this site put that much on in one season. My Sportsman has 3600 miles on it and if someone bought it all they would have to do is gas up and go.
My Fathers ATV has 7000 miles on it and runs like the day it was new.
Condition is more important then year to me.

I turned away from a few 2005 SP500 before buying a 2001 Sp500 4 year ago.

The 2007 Grizzly I just bough this summer had 3200 miles on it and looks and runs mint even its stock original tires are not worn out yet.

Change the oil regularly and clean the air filter and the motors will hit 10,000 miles before burning oil.

I had a 1989 350 Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 and my friend bought it years ago and still rides it to this day,it has no speedo but if I had to guess its mileage I would say a bazillion. LOL

Take a test ride even if its just around the house or down the street because its hard to hide broken on a ATV.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Makes sense that if you buy a quality product and take care of it it should last for quite some time. I have people jumping at the chance to buy a work truck from me when I go to sell one because it gets its fluids on a reg basis. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Possible ATV buy what do you think?

Hey guys, ran across a guy who has a 2003 Honda Rancher 350 ES 4x4 full time I think he said TRX. Has 1477 miles on it. Not sure of hours. Needs tires. No obvious damage. It was sitting at end of street and guy came down put key in and it started right up. He said he bought new for work on his property and a few trips somewhere. I didn't have time then to test drive. I will try to this week. He said there were no issues just tires 24x8x12 24x9x11 I think how much do descent tires runs (4)? LCD display seemed ok. He is asking $1400.00. Also he has a Kymco 50 that he is asking $150.00 for he said it needed a battery and last I talked to him he got one and it started right up and was running good (he says it runs like a 100). My research says Tawain not Chinese. Any thoughts on if it sounds like a good deal and also what to look for or check when I go to test ride. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone have any feedback on this info: Hey guys, ran across a guy who has a 2003 Honda Rancher 350 ES 4x4 full time I think he said TRX. Has 1477 miles on it. Not sure of hours. Needs tires. No obvious damage. It was sitting at end of street and guy came down put key in and it started right up. He said he bought new for work on his property and a few trips somewhere. I didn't have time then to test drive. I will try to this week. He said there were no issues just tires 24x8x12 24x9x11 I think how much do descent tires runs (4)? LCD display seemed ok. He is asking $1400.00. Also he has a Kymco 50 that he is asking $150.00 for he said it needed a battery and last I talked to him he got one and it started right up and was running good (he says it runs like a 100). My research says Tawain not Chinese. Any thoughts on if it sounds like a good deal and also what to look for or check when I go to test ride. Thanks for your help

Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Kymco is made in Taiwan. Much better quality than the Chinese quads. Kymco is getting close to having the quality of the major makers.

The Rancher doesn't sound like to bad a deal. The full time 4wd isn't too bad as the Honda has a limited slip front end. Good tires in that size will run around $100 apiece give or take.

Quick Reply: Advice on which ATV to get