Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Financing a quad for a 17-year old

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

If you have absolutely no other expenses, maybe. You're still going to have to pay for fuel and maintenance on the atv. It's going to have to get to trails somehow, so you might want to check the laws in your area on that. Then, and hopefully not, something happens to the atv. If it's financed they'll want it fixed, and possibly insured.

Look further ahead than just what it costs.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I think one of the founding members of the site instilled a thought into a few of us here that we still use.

Is this a want, or a need?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I suggest you buy a used quad you can afford.. Every off road vehicle listed in my sig was bought used..Except for the chinese stuff, those were given to me in return for r&d work.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bad@$$9
what I am thinking is that if I get a cosigner I will save up till spring get maybe like $3000 buy a $6000 sportsman 500 and just pay as much on it as I can whenever I can plus in the summer i will likely be working 40 hrs a week for a couple months
sound like a good idea?
Sounds like a splendid idea!

(I'm thinking that's the only answer you want to hear ? )

Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally- I think "new" is the best way to go if you're financially stable. Nothing beats the peace of mind having an extended 3 yr warranty on an atv- and the fact the the most crucial time for atv maintenance is the first 300 miles. You mess that up and you could doom that motor for an early mechanical failure. It's been my experience that many people dont spend the time or money to properly break in a new atv- and I hate not knowing how someone treated their atv for the first 300 miles.

Extended warranties and insurance. Those two things will allow you to realy enjoy your atv out on a rough trail.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

And let me say, congratulations for having a job and wanting to pay for your own stuff. Seen way too many kids today just expect that kind of stuff with no effort or money of their own.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
And let me say, congratulations for having a job and wanting to pay for your own stuff. Seen way too many kids today just expect that kind of stuff with no effort or money of their own.
Thank you! and I'm also the only kid in the family who bought his own truck, but ya I think i'm gonna go for new quad cuz then I know it was never abused and I can break it in properly

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by beergut
Personally- I think "new" is the best way to go if you're financially stable. Nothing beats the peace of mind having an extended 3 yr warranty on an atv- and the fact the the most crucial time for atv maintenance is the first 300 miles. You mess that up and you could doom that motor for an early mechanical failure. It's been my experience that many people dont spend the time or money to properly break in a new atv- and I hate not knowing how someone treated their atv for the first 300 miles.

Extended warranties and insurance. Those two things will allow you to realy enjoy your atv out on a rough trail.
Extended warranty? Now his $6000 ATV is $6800. Not even sure if Canadian dealerships offer it.
Never meant a person with a warrany longer then 6 months.

My thinking is if the ATV is running great with 1000 miles it will in all probability run great for thousands more.

The money I save buying used you can blow up a motor get it totally rebuilt and still come ahead.

Good condition Used ATVs are generally $2000-$3000 less, you can fix alot of things with that kind of cash IF something did go wrong. That savings is my warranty and I have not ever needed to used it yet.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I don't regret buying my kfx out of the crate. Decided to treat myself. Also got an extended warranty too. All for a lot less than the sticker price.

You don't have to buy new, but if you know how, there's a lot of savings to be had there too.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You will need Insurance to ride on crown land, if your from Ontario your insurance is $250 a year, thats fire ,theft and vandalism.
"Collision" is extra but since you have fire ,theft and vandalism anyways who needs collision *wink, wink*. What happens in the bush stays in the bush.LOL

Quick Reply: Financing a quad for a 17-year old