Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for Easy Drive Sport Quad

Old 04-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Easy Drive Sport Quad

Bought a new Honda Foreman last year and might need a sport quad as well for speed also to have a second one for the wife to drive. I have not had a chance to drive any before and was wondering what shifting options were available and reliable. My wife has driven the foreman a few times which has the push button automatic which she liked. Any tips on a decent machine that does not use a hand clutch? This one does not need to be new so even if it is used that would be ok. Any tips would be appreciated!
-Nick

Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strictly my opinion, but sport quads should have a manual clutch. The manual just gives you such better control over the machine and connects you so much better anything else is a let down. You could always let the wife ride the Foreman when you both go out

Off my soapbox, there are just a few choices for auto tranny sport quads. If you want big power, look for a Kawasaki KFX 700. They are no longer in production, so you will need to look used. Kymco has the Mongoose 250/300, also sold by Arctic Cat as the DVX. Polaris has the Trailblazer and Scrambler series. Can Am was selling a small auto as well, the DS 250.

The 300cc and less autos are not fast or powerful. The 700 is an absolute beast and while it might be more what you are looking for, it is a bit to much quad for most beginners.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on riding the sport quad mostly but it needs to be something she can drive too. If not automatic maybe are there any that would be easier to learn? She has small hands so an easy clutch would be important. I realize trying a few would be the best way to find out but I would like to avoid wasting peoples time checking them out if it might be difficult to learn on. My brother had a 125 RR dirt bike that was a bit annoying of a clutch even for me and was impossible for her but it was a race bike which could be to blame but just to give you an idea. Thanks

-Nick