Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Helllo & Good first used bike for a big buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
lol
The length, width, and height are all the same within about an inch.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
The length, width, and height are all the same within about an inch.
Oh, I know. Seat and bar height on the big Raptors give them a tall feel, better for big guys. My point is, you don't compare a mustang or camaro to a pick up truck and complain about it being "mid size."
The appeal of sport quads is their low slung chassis with razer sharp handling. Having the ability to throw your weight around on the ground and in the air and getting the machine to respond. Why the hell would you want some 700 pound tank of a quad if he wants to rail around some sandy, flat Florida trails that he has done with a 300ex?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sport ATV is 400 plus pounds machine good luck with motocross body English moves on something that heavy. That's like a guy with a 400lb prom date calling some ones 500 lbs prom date fat.

Guess what? They are both fat no matter how many light you shut off.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Raced this race, jumped this jump. (Not like that though, lol i am merely mortal.) Tell me you can't see machines being manipulated by body english mid air? I could easily dig up non race footage. Heck, ever see any of the Huevos Grand series? Not that the op intends to do this sort of thing, but sport quads ARE able to be manipulated mid flight.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Oh, I know. Seat and bar height on the big Raptors give them a tall feel, better for big guys. My point is, you don't compare a mustang or camaro to a pick up truck and complain about it being "mid size."
The appeal of sport quads is their low slung chassis with razer sharp handling. Having the ability to throw your weight around on the ground and in the air and getting the machine to respond. Why the hell would you want some 700 pound tank of a quad if he wants to rail around some sandy, flat Florida trails that he has done with a 300ex?
Who said anything about a 700 pound tank? I suggested a Raptor 700 because I know a guy that likes them well enough to have two.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Who said anything about a 700 pound tank? I suggested a Raptor 700 because I know a guy that likes them well enough to have two.
I agree with you, the 700 is a fine machine that works well for bigger guys. I disagree with a few others that would have a new guy believe a 400 class sport quad will never work for a bigger guy. In the end it is up to the op to go sit on a few quads, ride a few if possible to get a better feel for them. Only he knows the budget and what his buddies already ride. If the 300ex was fun (and I love to throw my son's 300 around from time to time,) he may just fall in love with something a bit bigger, a bit more powerful. Plenty of guys his size on 400cc, even 450cc class racers and loving every minute of it.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess in the end many quads can be suggested but its up to the individual to determine what feels the best for them. Budget sometimes will dictate what you buy as well. I'd love to have an Outlander 1000 but I'm not willing to pay $13000 to get one. The Grizzly is more than sufficient for what I wanted and cost about $10000 less. But yes if you can find a Raptor 700 in the price range you're looking for I think it will give you the best performance for the money. It is a bit bigger than the 400 and 450cc machines and the bigger engine and more torque will be an asset for a larger rider as well. If you want an automatic, the Kawasaki KFX700 and Polaris Scrambler models would be the way to go. But obviously they are heavier and slower than a Raptor 700, I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

If I was 6'2" 300+ pounds I would skip the sport ATV and get a full size chassis.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
A sport ATV is 400 plus pounds machine good luck with motocross body English moves on something that heavy. That's like a guy with a 400lb prom date calling some ones 500 lbs prom date fat.

Guess what? They are both fat no matter how many light you shut off.
Trying to get that post count up again huh?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HondaR24
Trying to get that post count up again huh?
More like do not put the round peg in the square hole.

6,3 and 300+pounds on a mid chassis sport frame will never be comfortable not matter how you explain it. The only large full chassis (so called) sport ATVs are the 4x4 types that are just utilities ATVs with no racks and sporty plastics like the Renegade and Scramblers.

Quick Reply: Helllo & Good first used bike for a big buy?