Just bought a different atv - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Just bought a different atv

Old 02-27-2018, 01:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have used diff-lock in the past on my Grizzly to help me out of some tough spots, mostly mud. Never really used it much on the Brute Force. It does amaze me that the most powerful 4x4 atv Honda has, the Rincon, doesn't have diff-lock or optional eps. I kinda look for Honda to revise it or completely replace it with something new, its a really outdated atv.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by greg74 View Post
I have used diff-lock in the past on my Grizzly to help me out of some tough spots, mostly mud. Never really used it much on the Brute Force. It does amaze me that the most powerful 4x4 atv Honda has, the Rincon, doesn't have diff-lock or optional eps. I kinda look for Honda to revise it or completely replace it with something new, its a really outdated atv.
I can't count how many different quads I've been on (okay I could but I'm lazy). By far the worst experience I had was a Honda Rincon. Suspension was like a brick, steering was harder than any machine I'd ever been on. 1st gear wasn't low enough for effective engine braking. They can have it. By comparison, a Rancher I rode the next day was a pleasure.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Other than the engine, I think the Rubicon is a much better machine. If I were Honda, I'd simply go with a more powerful engine in the Rubicon as the flagship model and ditch the Rincon altogether. I like the idea of either fully auto or es shifting that Honda uses. It is a different experience than a cvt auto machine, you can actually "feel" the shifts in the dct like in an automobile transmission. There are times the system will get confused like on a long steep climb and will upshift too soon. Probably better to be in es mode then. The biggest drawback to the dct system would be the cost to fix it if something does eventually go wrong. Its what Honda is going with in all their auto machines so they must have great confidence in the technology.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Be assured that many Honda owners might have second thoughts about their longevity. I know around here, Honda's with the electric shift are almost not wanted, people cannot get any bites on them no matter how low the price. I know the guys that work on them certainly don't like them as to many complaints about expensive repairs. The CVT is just so simple and it works! The electric shift might be nice if they can get the gremlins fixed and make repairs inexpensive.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:09 AM
Moto Psycho

If an automobile type transmission was as cheap to replace as a belt we'd probably all have them. Even if it's a fairly minor transmission repair you could be worse off than you would be with a CVT. I read about someone having problems with the ES on a Honda and they got stranded. They couldn't shift it into neutral to tow it either. I don't know how they finally got out of that situation. A CVT is so much simpler. I used to carry a spare belt and when one broke I replaced it on the side of a trail in 1/2 hour or less. You would have a hard time carrying all the parts and tools it would take to fix a transmission like Hondas use.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The new dct transmissions haven't been around long(5 years maybe), so the reliability of those are a bit of an unknown. The original Rubicon transmission which was a hydraulic system, lasted a long time. The problem was that when it did have problems, the machine by then was so old that to pay to fix it usually cost more than the atv was worth. So they basically just got rid of it then.