Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

best two up for $8-$9k

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a trail at Rockhouse that rides the top of a ridge that's onlyh about 5 feet wide with a 500 foot drop on either side. It isn't straight down but i's probably 75 degrees. That's not one you want to be pushing your thumb hard on. But to me that's ATV heaven. You can really see the surrounding mountains from there. They have some other trails that are just insane to ride. I don't go there. They're right up the side of the mountains which are all very steep in that area. You get to ride into town on both ends of the trail system so you can go from a motel to the trails without having to load and unload twice a day. The people are unbelievably friendly there too. I've been tryng to talk my wife into moving there for years. I know people that have cabins that are only accessible from private trails which cover more ground than the trails in the Hatfield McCoy system. It's just about as good as it gets for ATV's IMO. The Black Mountain trails are maybe better but you really need a guide there or you'll get lost. It's huge as in 500 miles from one end to the other covering 3 states. They did have a lot of promotion for those trails or at least hte Harlan County sections. But I haven't heard about that for a while. I think it was too much for people who aren't familar with the mountains.

Wayne National Forest is what is next to me. I can ride from my house to the trails if I want. I ususally don't so I can spare the wear on my tires but I have ridden to the trails many times. Last I heard some of the bigger sections had been closed off but that's been a while. It may be possible to get back there now. There was one place where people were just crazy riding up a high wall left from a clay mine. One spot was about 70 feet high and the last 25 feet included a rock overhang. You basically have to fly over that. I've seen it done but I wouldn't want to do it. I have a few photos of a guy on a bike doing it. I've seen ATV's go up different sections. I've also seen where people land in the tops of trees going up that thing. The first photo shows the point where they go airborne. The second one you can see the guy flying over the top if you look close. The third one it's easy to see how they get over the top. There's about a 2 foot overhang right at the top too.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of my friends here have bought Can Am Max's over all the other 2-ups.

One of my friends rides a 2014 800 Max and has well over 20,000 miles on it with no major issues.

When I ride with 4-5 friends that I ride with all the time they all have Can Am Maxs and I'm always the only one riding a Kawasaki.

From my own personal experience I would never own a Polaris, never.

I believe the newer ones are 570 instead of this 500 my friend did a review on.

Even with a smaller engine being a V-twin makes up for it.

Here's a review of a base 500 Max.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/buy...o-up-8-9k.html

Am I too late? Did you already make your purchase?

Old 05-28-2018, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless Textron reintroduces the TRV'S , they have lost me. Still you may find some in inventory. My TRV XT 700 has been bullet proof, but I only have just under 2,000 miles. 59" WB, rear seat is very comfortable. Even with 2 - 200+ pounders. I take bear hunters into tree stands with it, btw.

Attached Thumbnails best two up for -k-p1010272.jpg