Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Raptor or 400ex??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001 | 12:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I know this question has been beaten down before, but, I'm 6'1 @ 255lbs and looking at these 2 quads. I like the raptor for it's size and power but the reliability is still a big ? in my mind. I'm also concerned with the size of the 400ex, will it be alittle to cramped for me? As far as power goes I believe the 660 has it, but I would go with a 440rcr kit if I got the 400ex and also believe it would then be on par with the raptor. Please don't get into a pissing match over this, I'm just looking for the best quad for the money and the most reliable. I'm not into brand bashing. I ride in Massachusetts, so I'm mostly hitting trails and open sand pits. I love to top out the machine any chance I get.

Old 05-31-2001 | 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey..I am looking at the same stuff you are, and I am nearly identical in size. I am 6-1 about 250. I am actually looking at the RECON and Polaris Trail Boss or Trail Blazer since I am looking to ride mostly with my son on his Scrambler 90. I have to say, the Raptor is cool, but if I were buying, I'd get the 400EX due to the reliability and agility factors. The Raptor and the DS-650 just seem damn near like a car. The Recon is a bit small for me, but I also think it will be very mobile and easy to transport.

Old 06-01-2001 | 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I HAVE A 2000 400EX AND FIND IT COMFERTABLE EVEN AFTER LONG RIDES. I AM 6'4 200LBS.I HAVE FOUND HONDAS HAVE A NICE FIT FOR LONGER PEOPLE. HAVE'NT HAD ANY PROBLEMS AND WITH MINOR MODS. REALY FLY'S.TEST DRIVE AND SEE WHAT FITS.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2001 | 11:02 PM
Range Rover

i would buy the raptor. the 400 ex is to small and way too slow. Yamaha would not put out a quad that wasnt durable. I have had my raptor for 6 months, no major problems other than bolts loosening up. i ride mx and cross country.belive me if you are an avid rider you will be disapointed with the 400 ex ,when a raptor leaves you in the dust every time!!!

Old 06-11-2001 | 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Well the 400ex is a nice machine but the left out the reverse gear?!?! Interestingly a friend who rides dirt bikes commented on the Raptor (has ridden several quads before) that if he had the money to spend he'd dump the bike for a Raptor. This guy was bashing quads before this complaining that they dont handle well and are underpowered. After a half hour on the Raptor he changed his mind. I dunno if he's ridden the 400ex but he did try a Banshee and my Warrior and had a 250x for his wife and was unimpressed with them all. I'd buy a 400ex immediately for the wife if it had reverse.

Old 06-11-2001 | 12:35 AM
Range Rover

Hands down the Raptor. More power, meaner looking, handling is just as good, built like a brick #$%&house. Enough said !

Old 06-25-2001 | 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

As mentioned above, test each out before you make up your decision. I asked this same question yesterday or the day before on here and I concluded that I want the 400EX. Luckily my dealer is a Honda-Yamaha dealer so I can try both of them out but I'll probably get the 400EX. I am also going to get the 440 kit from powroll since he lives by me. I heard that this kit is faster than the stock Raptor and one that was piped and jetted. Well I hope you find what you like, let us know what you get. Oh yeah, the only real big problem that the Honda has in my mind is being Air-Cooled. This might suck when I go to the dunes but oh well

Old 07-07-2001 | 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the Raptor really isnt a whole lot bigger, in fact, the 400EX is longer (.2 inch), wider (over an inch), almost 2" lower (over all height), and maintains more ground clearance. I was just at the dealers today looking at the same things (though I'm much smaller at 5'11" and 165#). At first glance the Raptor looks bigger in all respects but its not, I was really surprised when I pulled out the tape measure and checked (actually asked the rep for a tape and did it myself). You can confirm these specs in the catalogs (Yamaha states that the Raptor has 10+" of ground clearance, surely not measured from the swingarm, Honda states 4.3&quot. The Honda had more ground clearance all the way around then the Raptor as well. Hope this helps you out, Aaron.

Old 07-08-2001 | 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ended up buying a Polaris Trail Blazer last weekend. Very happy with it.Cush ride, and I rode it hard for 3 hours on the 4th. Pretty impressed overall,especially considering the money...

Old 07-08-2001 | 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

GRRRRRRRRR.. another P.O.S Polaris

Quick Reply: Raptor or 400ex??????