Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Raptor Good For a First ATV ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im considering getting into the wonderful world of atvs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and was looking at the 02 Raptor. would this be too much of a atv to start out with ? Will i even fit on one ? im about 6'8" 260lbs. Im going to the dealer this weekend to take a look at them. any input would be great

Thanks

DS

Old 01-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I owned a Raptor and it's a great machine, but a person of your size would be cramped. I'm 5'11" 225 lbs. and it wasn't too cramped for me. You should seriously look at a Bombardier DS 650. It has a lot more leg room and suits the bigger riders. It's a very durable quad as well. My brother just lost second gear on his '01 Raptor.

Old 01-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

the question isn't is the raptor a great quad (it is) its if its a good first quad. and the answer is no. start one something much smaller! your a pretty big guy i'd suggest a warrior or a sporty 4x4 of some kind.

Old 01-11-2002, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Juggalo is probably right in his response about the raptor not being a good first quad. Although starting out on a smaller quad is the ideal thing to do, your size is the limiting factor here. You will absolutely dwarf a warrior and will find the limits on the suspension real quick. The warrior is a good first quad but not for your size. Sit on different machines and see what feel's best for you.

Old 01-12-2002, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer

I beg to differ with all of your suggestions of getting something smaller to start out on. If he is 6' 8 260 pounds, Im guessing hes not your typical 14 year old. He's most likely a responsible adult. Now, Say he gets a warrior and rides it for a month or so, Trust me, Hes going to be tired of its lack of power. Here's the other scenario: He gets the raptor, Rides it RESPONSIBLY for a couple of months and gets used to it. He can now step it up a notch and ride more aggressivly. Would he want to trade a quad in after 2 months of riding it and be out who knows how much cash? I know i sure wouldn't. All I have to say is, Take it easy at first man. Get used to the bike before you try to ride it agressivly. When you do though, the power will be there to fufill your hopes and dreams, where as on the warrior, or whatever else, You would be wishing you had bought the bigger quad. Thats all for now.

Old 01-24-2002, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

I am 6'2" and 225 lbs. I started out with used Polaris Trail Boss 250 quads (I bought them used at a great deal and they were good starter bikes.) Since they are an automatic the foot pegs are lower to the ground resulting in a more comfortable stance on the bike for a taller rider.

There is a good point to learning and moving up to a larger (more power) quad. I think learning on an automatic (Polaris) is a good way to go.

That's the lawyer talk. The DS is the sport bike for you, END OF STORY. I have ridden the 400 EX and the Raptor and both are great bikes but, they are not for you and your size. DO NOT buy the Warrior. I have one for my wife and your knees will be killing you after 2 hours of riding. If you don't believe me go get a 10-speed built for a 10 year old and ride it 10 miles.

Go to the dealer and just sit on the quads and look at the angle of your legs quad muscle, is it going uphill from your hip to you knee or downhill to your knee? The steaper the uphill angle the quicker you will become sore from riding.

A quad looks comfortable to sit on but, your butt shouldn't be on the seat when you turn, go up or down a hill etc. That means, you will be moving a lot (like the 10 speed bike) and you will become sore / tired quickly.

Old 01-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The Raptor and DS are high performance quads not designed FOR BEGINNERS.
Assuming you are a reasonably responsible adult, I say your size and weight is gonna put you on a DS.....or if you ride tight trails, you will need a Raptor.
The Raptor has a throttle limiter and I assume the DS does too?? Cut the throttle way back and enjoy. Stay away from steep inclines for a while too.....they are dangarous and it's the first place an inexperienced rider crashes. Get a brain bucket and a good ramp / trailer when you get that quad. Should get a good deal since you will be buying the quad too.
Also, as mentioned earlier, a sporty 4X4 would be a good first choice for you.

Old 01-29-2002, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

I WOULD RECOMMEND GETTING A 660 GRIZZLY OR A ONE OF THE OTHER BIG 4X4'S AT YOUR SIZE I WOULD DEFINATLY BE CONCERNED WITH COMFORT

Old 01-30-2002, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

if i were you...honestly id go with a polaris scrambler 400 or 500...theyre big...fast..and can tackle just about anything you throw at them

Old 01-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have too agree with ImGettin, the Scambler fits big guys pretty well and is much more forgiving than a Raptor or DS.

This is probably going to be seen as heresy on this website, but you might consider getting a dirt bike. On something like an XR250 you get a very mellow bike that will go just about anywhere and will still fit big & tall riders.

Quick Reply: Raptor Good For a First ATV ?