Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Yamaha Big Bear or Honda 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I just sold my Honda 300 4x4. Not so sure that was such a great idea, because it was the most reliable thing i've ever seen with a motor in it. I plan to buy a new machine soon, and i can't decide between the Honda 350 and the Yamaha Big Bear. Leaning toward Honda, but the Yamaha has over 50 more cc of motor, almost as much clearance, and can be switched from 2WD to 4WD. Any advice?

Old 02-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Range Rover

I agree you had a workhorse, may that line (300) rest in piece.
I hate to say it GC owning a Honda Rancher ES but the Big Bear or EIGER may be a good choice but I would never knock the Rancher. I personally have 1200 miles on mine, no problems even original brakes (drums). I ride heavy mud getting though almost anything I try, I've buried it many times (2x4), with never a problem . Honda makes a great machine but may lack in the feature dept. My ES on the other hand has full floor boards, LCD cluster w/ speedo trip/hour and mileage meters , pretty hard to beat for the additional $200 and I really like it !!!! I'm 190 lbs and the single shock/solid axle work fine for me, It doesn't have to be IRS (though nice) the ground clearance is what I wanted and the rancher has 9.7"/7.75" , not bad for a 2x4. The engine is pretty peppy for a 329cc motor (53 mph). If they offered the Rancher in selectable 2/4x4 them it would be HONDA hands down,maybe 2003??? until then ????? Maybe the 2002 Foreman is what you might like,it's selectable and has lots of low end torque. The ES/digital system/ floor boards/GC and "HONDA" did't hurt was the selling point for me, though I am loyal to none, even being from Detroit,(Big 3) lol. you'll just have to find your selling points. good luck !!!!

scott
01' Rancher ES
00' Trailblazer (rcr kit coming soon)
91' KX80 (race ready)

Old 02-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help....another question for you...i have been a little skeptical of the ES system, which isn't fair because i have nothing to base that skepticism on...i am just weary of new untested features....now that it has been out for a few years now, is there anything you can tell me about it's reliability?

Old 02-06-2002, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

you can do a search on it (ES) and you will see many more favor the ES system than not, though it does take a couple days to get used to... now I'm spoiled, lol.
The only problem I ever had and I see your from Neb. is if you dont DUNK your quad under water getting the ES system "FROZE UP" is the key term, buttons not engaging - electrically speaking, than I believe you will have nothing to worry about. I only had one problem with the ES, After a days riding ( 20 degrees ) I washed the quad off REALLY good at the HIGH pressure washer, went to unload and went into REVERSE,ok, then I went to shift into 1st and nothing, wouldn't come out of rev. (honda packs a special tool in the glove box that allows you to shift just like a manual (kinda) and that worked just fine 1st , 2nd 3rd let it warm up for a couple of minutes and it worked fine (ES) again. Must have gotten to much water in the ES buttons while washing, high pressure and all. I ride in the winter through water/slush holes all the time never having a problem. I would be worried though if I ever fell threw some ice above my handlebars, but you always got that (shifting tool) or bring a hair drier and plug it into the ranchers 12 volt outlet plug, lol
There are some other things like "rocking" it to shift if you stopped in 4th gear but want to start in 2nd, sometimes hangs up, not really a big thing though.
Dont forget you get the floorboards/LCD cluster ($200 more) w/ the ES system ONLY. That was a "BIG" selling point to me.

scott

Old 02-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

When you refer to the foot shift included with the ES, do you mean that it has a fully functional foot shift (like the regular foot shift)?. In other words, if the ES fails, can you use the footshift like the normal footshift?

Old 02-06-2002, 03:01 PM
Range Rover

basically yes, If you look at the engine you can see where the shifter goes into the transmission, it has a little hexagon end on it that the "TOOL" that Honda provides fits on it, is it "EXACALLY" the same as the manual. You wouldn't catch me riding it like that even if you could weld it on somehow, it isn't located the same,it rises and lowers as you change gears, very un safe. But yes if the ES fails you can use the shifting tool Honda provides. this is why some people are skeptical , "why did Honda provide that "tool" if nothing is going to go wrong with it". Like all electrical components things can happen, thats why I got a 4 year warrantee with mine, (cost $400) but I too was a little skeptical about the LCD instrumentaion more than the ES given what we put these things threw.

scott

Old 02-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

From what I have seen so far the Rancher would be the perfect step for you.
If you miss your 300 you will love the Rancher. We have 2 in our riding group, my brother and my neighbor. Not a single problem with either. I have heard (on this forum) that the 2003 Ranchers will have 2wd-4wd option, so if thats the only thing holding you up go for it! They should be out in July?

Old 02-06-2002, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

I wish i could wait until July!!!!! But i can't go 6 or 7 months without a four-wheeler!! Another thing....is there much difference in the power fo a 300 and a 350...i have heard that there is way more power in the 350.

Old 02-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

I hate to rain on everybody's parade, but I don't know a single "ES" rider who hasn't had problems with the shifting! I haven't ridden one and I can't say I've ever ridden with one. But I work with 4 different guys who own them, and they have all had problems with the shifting!

Rick

Old 02-07-2002, 04:52 AM
Pro Rider

GrizRick
No parades here, or rain or snow for that matter. I keep hoping!
I find it interesting that 4 out of 4 of your friends have had shifting problems with their Honda ES models. My questions are this...
1. Were their quads repaired under the shifter recall on the early Ranchers?
2. If not, was the problem repaired?
3. What was the final diagnosis?

I am not questioning at all the truth of your statement. I have read about, but not personally seen anyone have problems with there ES model. I ride with the same group of guys and so far not one has had a problem with theirs. If there is a common problem with the 4 of your friends it would be great to know what it was. Then a guy could maybe do a little preventative maintainance possibly to stop it before it happens. See what you can find out from them please!

Quick Reply: Yamaha Big Bear or Honda 350