Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

400ex or z400 or Cannondale

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 01:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, heres the situation im a motocross rider who has been riding dirtbikes for the last few years. I think i want to get into quads and im not sure what i want to buy. Im a 6'5 220 pund guy whos riding ability is average. My buddy has a fully race ready 250r and a hopped up banshee and I love riding them. He's not sure, he's leaning to the 400 ex but the only thing holding me back is the air cooled engine.
I'd like to know if anyone out there has tried a cannnondale speed or moto or the new suzuki?
And if the air cooled engine on the 400 ex is a major issue.
Also i eventually plan to hop up whatever machine i get and i know that the 400ex has lots of parts out there but not sure to what extent and if any companies have any suzuki parts yet for the z400.
I know that the cannondale moto doesnt need much put into it but id like to know about the speed. and the prices of the cannondales.
Also i am looking for something reliable so which is best under that aspect.
Anything that you could let me know about would be great i want to suze up each quad as best i can

I know I am asking alot of stuff, but i want to buy the right quad for me and any feedback would be great.
Thanx

Old 02-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

You definitely picked the right quads for racing mx. I personally would wait for a ride review on the new Suzuki before you make a choice. Liquid cooled motor, DOHC, nicasil coated cylinder, and possibly have the handling of a 400ex or Cannondale. I can't wait to get mine.

The Honda is a very reliable machine and the aftermarket offers tons of accessories which is a big plus. The only drawback to me on the Honda is the motor is air cooled. Air cooled motors do not dissipate heat well and when you start pumping up the motor you create more heat. On the other side, the Honda handles great and gives good rider feedback. It's a very confidence inspired quad to ride or race.

I can't comment much on the Cannondale but I have seen them run and they just plain rip. They seem to be a bigger machine and you might be more comfortable considering your size. I would definitely consider a Cannondale with it's high tech motor, aluminum frame, and from what I've read great handling. The reliability might be a concern but Cannondale has addressed those issues and things seem to be ironed out.

If it were me I would definitely buy a quad with a liquid motor and go from there. If I didn't have a new Suzuki coming I would purchase the Cannondale Cannibal ( which is their least expensive model ), and add aftermarket components for racing. Just my opinion but I hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2002, 01:19 AM
The Facility

My opinion is prety much the same. If you plan to race, go with the Cannondale Cannibal. It is pretty much race ready. Add a tether switch and a set of nerf bars and you are ready to go. To modify a 400EX to equal the Cannondale [especially the suspension] you would spend way more than the cost of the Cannibal

KNOWSALOT

Old 02-11-2002, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with buddah also. If you can afford the Cannondale thats the bike for MX hands down. Reliabilty wise you can't beat the Honda 400EX and aftermarket parts are PLENTYFULL.

Old 02-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

One thing My buddy forgot to mention is that we live in Canada the closest dealer is in the states and very far away. The price of the cannondale canible in canadian dollars after tax would be someware over 11 000 dollars. Now if there were any dealers in our area in Canada the price would drop about 1000-2000 dollars due to the conversion change. But 11 000 is alot of money especialy when the dealer is far away and repairs would be a biootch. Now lets compare that to a 400ex. I saw a 400ex used but 2001 never raced with pipe/silencer and razr's everything else stock looked and was said to be in great shape for 6500. Spend a few thousand dollars and have a better handleing quad then the Canondale (canible) and still be under the canondales cost. And Have better Realibilty to boot! The only thing the Canible woul have over it is the increased power. But the Canibles suspension isn't nothing special like I said if he spent a few thousand on some good racing shocks the suspension and handling(a arms also) would surpass that of the Canible. Not to mention my friend (thor969) isn't an experienced rider, I believe the 400ex would be a better buy. But mybe some one here can correct me. I allways willing to admit I'm wrong because this is only my opinions.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, for the money go with the 400EX and have plenty of money left over for the suspension mods and maybe more.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks alot for the feedback guys
My buddy "MXTRX250R" is right about the price and it is an issue
im still wondering about the z400 it looks like its goin to rip and the specs are really close to the 400ex. With the liquid cooled and the nicasil bore and all the new technology i think that it is a major contender in my mind. Im just a little weary about suzukis dependability. And i am really anxious to hear about the handling.
Pertaining to the aftermarket parts i think i can wait 6 monthes or so for companies to start making some nice parts. But its not 100% in my mind yet.
The cannondale may be right but after a but more research i realize that the nearest dealer is in the u.s. and about a good 5 hours away (kinda tough to get parts) and im a canuck so it will be pricey.

But at the same time the 400ex is tried and tested and has proved to be a solid machine. And i would jump on one in a flash but the air cooled engine still makes me wonder about the power that i could be losing. I'm goin to hold off a bit and see what the tests say. I'm hoping dirtwheels gets their hands on one and tests it. they are usually pretty good with there tests.
But again thanks alot for your input and ill let you all know what i decide

Old 02-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Heres some more advise, learn from my mistakes. Don't EVER buy the 1st model year of a new quad. Buy the 2nd, they usually have the bugs worked out by then.