Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

2002 Raptor Help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me how fast the Raptor is, and if it's the fastest and best quad out there now?

I have been to the dunes at Pismo Beach twice, but I rented Honda EX 250cc ATVs. The first time I went my Dad's friend took me and his buddy had a Raptor, I only rode it for 5 minutes and I thought it was good - at least compared to the rentals. I went again yesterday and there were many people who had them. Is this the best sport ATV that you can own, I saw the grizzly 4x4 on the yamaha website, but it isn't really needed, is it?

thanx

Old 02-19-2002, 02:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone?

Somebody has to know... please help!

Thanks

Old 02-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

My opinion......Its a good quad no doubt BUT the fastest negative. The Bombardier DS650 has 14% more torque and 23% more horsepower. Its the fastest production sport quad on the market.

Old 02-20-2002, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I was talking to one of my teachers today who is a hardcore dirtbiker.. He told me that 2 stroke quads are faster that 4 strokes but require more maintenance, is this true?

Which ATV is best for the dunes? The Raptor or the DS650??
The DS has 650cc, while the Raptor has 660.. and isnt the DS heavier? Why is the DS faster than the Raptor?

Does anyone know a specs website for HP and Top Speed of the Raptor?

Thanks

Old 02-20-2002, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider

2 strokes are usually quicker NOT faster than 4 strokes. 2 strokes are usually ALOT more maintenance. The DS650 was made for the dunes. The DS is a 650 and the Rapter is a 660 but the DS has more HP and torque. The DS is 80Lbs heavier. Why is the DS faster, who knows, more HP, gearing??

Old 02-21-2002, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

So 4 stroke ATVs have the higher top speed?

So everyone thinks that the DS is a better quad than the Raptor for the dunes, right?

If so, is the Raptor the 2nd best quad???

thanks

Old 02-21-2002, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its the second best quad if not 1st. the ds is fast but i prefer a raptor the ds is to heavy. also no reverse on a ds, you wont need that on the dunes but where i ride in the woods you will. I would go for the raptor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I ride the woods too and no reverse is'nt that big of a deal. Just meens I MAY have to get off the bike and move it myself. The weight 80Lbs makes no difference, you really don't notice it. I beat Rappy's on a regular basis even with the same mods. Raptors "feel" tippy, they have too tall for thier stance. The DS has a wider track and is'nt as good on tight trails as a Rappy but thats just tight trails. If your looking for a dune machine the DS is the bike for you.

Old 02-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

the DS is a dune machine. Hence the initials D. S. (dune sport). I prefer a Raptor because I do alot of trail riding and the DS is too wide. I can't fit through narrow entrances between trees. As for speed, The ds and raptor are pretty much equal until you hit fourth gear and then the D/S will pull away because it has more top end, but it's not a significant amount to have to spend an additional grand on the machine. 7,000.00 for the DS and 6,000.00 for raptor. I just bought my raptor and I thing I love it more than my wife. Ha, HA!!! either machine is a good choice it's your decision. Good luck

Old 02-27-2002, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

Go with the raptor unless you are going to do nothing but dune ridding. I don't know what types of trails they have in other parts of the country, but a DS does not fit on 99% of the trails around here. Trust me, as a former DS owner. I am talking about trails not dirt roads. and as far as the ds having 23% more HP that equals out to be about 4-5 hp. You put a jet kit on a raptor and the ds is all of a sudden 23% defficiant. Reverse is also very helpful when you are trail ridding. Especially when your maching weighs 505 pounds like the Bombardier. Your back will thank you.

Quick Reply: 2002 Raptor Help...