Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying an atv in canada?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 08:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live about 4 hours from canada, and have heard story's of getting quite a good deal by buying in canada. Can someone tell me what exactly you have to go through to accomplish this. What type of laws are there regarding this? Someone just said in the raptor post down below, he got his 2002 raptor for about 5300 out the door us. If this is true, canada here I come. Would I still be able to get a us title, and will I be able to finance, or do I have to pay with cash?

Old 02-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nopluse

Yes wheeler prices are cheaper in Canada. If the machine is built in either the the US or Canada you do NOT have to pay any duty to bring them back across the border, NAFTA at work. I'm not sure about foreign makes, there may be a duty on them, you would have to check. If you have to pay Canadian sales tax, it is reimbured, usually in 6 weeks, or some dealers by pass that by filling out an exmemption form. As far as title goes I'm not sure about where you live, all you do in my state is pay sales tax when you register it (on the actual sales price).

As far as financing goes, I secured my loan ahead of time in the US. The dealer faxed a copy of the bill of sale to the place I secured the loan and they cut a check. There may be others ways to do it, but this worked for me. The Canadians won't finance because they wouldn't have any recourse if you didn't pay.

You may want to act fairly fast, the American dealers any where near the border are screaming bloody murder to the companies and want to stop cross border sales. Instead of asking why are they selling the same machines cheaper over on the Canadian side.

Hope this helps

Mwy