Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I am getting a head ache!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sooooo confused now..... i have looked at every brand out there, rode every machine built.... and STILL cannot decide on what to buy.

I am down to a few.

Griz (still new and has some drawbacks).
500 HOX (concerned about the upkeep and the way the belt is)
Kaw 650 (seems built ok, but not as good of a ride)
AC (just to dang slow and bulkie)"forget this one" lol

Polaris is offering a pretty good deal on thier X model. 6600 with detatchable front/rear 2500 winch, upgraded goodyear rawhide tires and chrome wheels. (also looks hot as can be!)

Griz (no deal "bad service from what locals are saying at the dealer&quot

Kaw dealer is a chicago shister. and if the way that he talked to me as a potential customer, i can just imagine what he would be like after i have no leverage. if i owned the machine already, then he would just be more of a pr*ck.

sounds like i have come down to one, but i really am still having anxiety over which one to get!!!! i have read all the posts on here, i know that there is no "bullet proof" machine out there, and my clothes are starting to talk to me in my closet!!!! ACK! j/k

i have loved reading everyones input and really have enjoyed seeing some of the "bashing" on here...lol
BUT, it seems that the more i investigate, the more i dont know what the right thing to do is....

I figure the Polaris 500 HO (x model) is the way to go. For price, accessories already installed, i dont think that i can beat it.

Guess that i am just venting!!! i really hope that i can get some positive insight from you all, without having a war! lol, yet they are still fun to read too.

Jonatnan

Old 03-14-2002, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like you have done what is needed to buy one,look,ride,price.Buy what you like & hope you get a good one.Everyone makes a good quad,but just like cars they all make lemons too.Good luck with what ever you buy,and buy what you like not what someone else likes.

Old 03-14-2002, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Before you give up on the Kawi, try to find another dealer who is honest and willing to deal with you as a person as opposed to a $ sign. I am not a polaris fan, but I won't bash them either. If you want a quad that is a work horse then I would look closer at the Arctic Cats. I know it is not very pleasant to deal with the dealers but don't give in and then regret it later. Have you also thought about a Honda? Rancher or Rubicon.

Old 03-14-2002, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

dillas,

I have thought about a Honda.... BUT, lol the price is a lil high, and the ONLY dealer in this area is not one that i would deal with. I hate to say it, but i would rather be pushed over by the Kaw dealer here and pay twice the MSRP than even to talk to the honda guy...lol

I know that was bad. The sad part is, the honda dealer is also the polaris dealer local. I have to travel to Iron Mountain, MI about hr away for a polaris. The dealer there has been there for 22 years. Husband and wife team. Family mechanics. Very nice to talk to and honestly talked about the downfalls of owning the polaris. VERY rare to find a dealer that will talk about the ups and DOWNS of thier bikes. They also presented ways to prevent/fix any and all problems. SOOOOO, went to eat at a local dinner and started asking around. A actually found a couple of peeps that do business with them and they bragged "top notch".

I am really debating on the polaris for a couple of reasons.

1. Parts are in stock. (showed me the parts room).
2. Pleasant to deal with.
3. Other opinions of polaris owners in the area. (BTW, seems that everyone in that town owns and works a Polaris)

I guess the only thing that i have to figure out is what kind of warranty is there? Time? Coverage?

"choke choke" the sad part is, i have been telling family that from what i have seen, the polaris is high "maintanence" (upkeep is what i meant). And we are a LARGE family looking at buying 2 ta 14 machines. I hope that i havent put my foot to far down, so i can back track and maybe get a deal with a high volume!!!!

Thanks Guys!!!!

Old 03-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Axe the HO and the AC, then flip a coin for the grizz or prarie.

Old 03-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

I too would opt for either the Kawasaki or the Grizzly. You have good reason to worry about the maintenance on the Polaris. All the options in the world are useless if the quad is in the shop.

I know many people in the forum that have a Polaris and are extremely happy. But my brother and myself are very dissatisfied with the Xpolrer and sportsman we had. I would never purchase another Polaris product ever.

To give a slight clue by what I mean: I’ve owned 3 Honda’s and 1 Polaris since 1994. All of them were bought new. Total maintenance cost on the Polaris totaled- $1123.00 in the first year. Honda- Under $100.00 since 1994 to 2001 when I sold the 300ex and a 300 2wd Utility to buy the Rubicon.

If you’d like the rundown on the parts list I went through send me an e-mail.

Old 03-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

without knocking any other quads out there, i will tell ya that the new grizzly is all that and then some. when they first came out, like all other quads when new, they are said to have some bugs on them. well, i have never had any problems with mine. this machine is a great all around quad. it is funny, when you read shootouts on the big quads. it seems the grizzly always comes in second. it doesn't matter if it is towing, off roading, hauling, or what not. to me, that says its a great all around quad!!! not the best at everything, but never the worst. i will tell ya, i have never met a man on any 4x4 quad who could loose me, more or less keep up. it is all a quad should be, and i bet years from now, it will be rated as one of the best quads ever made!

my pictures

Old 03-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

The polaris dealer in christmas back towards munising would be closer, and He deals Better than scotters. I just got a new Grizz, from BSA. I got a pretty godd deal but I work on the owners semi truck. Give Cristmas A try If Your set on polaris.

Old 03-16-2002, 06:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I too am thru with Polaris products.I've owned two brand new[99 500cc Sportsman and 00 Xplorer] and while both quads were very fun to ride,they spent ALOT of time in the shops for worn out parts.Thank God I purchased the extended warrenty.It pisses me off when I have to ride the wife's Recon with my freinds because MY ATV is in the shop!

I had more problems with ONE of my Polaris ATVs than I do my other 4 quads COMBINED.

Bill

Old 03-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do believe that the dealer is almost as important as the machine. I live in Utah and bought my Rubicon from Steadmans. They gave me a fair price, they even jetted it for the altitude here so it would perform good fo me. I also know they went out of their way to make sure I was not only happy with my purchase but also happy with who I purchased it from.

I ride with a group of people and the majority of them ride Polaris. From what I have seen is that most of the machines treat the owners the way the owner treats the machine. I constantly read about people trashing Polaris and from what I see I don't know why. The one person in our group that thinks Polaris is a piece of s""" beats the s""" out of them and does no mait. He gets what he deserves.
Good luck. Love my Honda.

Quick Reply: I am getting a head ache!!!