Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Utility with speed ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking for a high end utility quad with a fair amount of speed. See what I need is an ATV that can snowplow in Four wheel drive but can really rip it up on the trails. What is the best way to go....... 660 Griz - Prarie 650 - ex...
-OR-
Just wait for the 2003's

Please help

Old 03-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Prairie. It will do the plowing job as good as any but will rip up the trails like no other sport utility.

Jaybee

Old 03-24-2002, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

Prarie is faster And also handles better on the trails, The Griz has more ground clearance
and will get better traction on uneven terrain due to independent suspension. Both are good
Quads but the Prarie will work better for your needs. Good Luck what ever you choose.

Old 03-28-2002, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey now, dont rule out the Sportsman 700 twin.

Old 03-28-2002, 12:54 AM
The Facility

With the snow being almost gone and full blown riding season a few months away, I would wait and ride the new Honda Rincon 650 first. From what insiders have been saying, this thing will do anything you ask it do including being faster than the other big bores.

If it were me, I would wait. Not only for Honda, but Suzuki has something coming also. Just don't know what it is yet.

Old 04-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

I am not trying to start something here; just asking a question -

I have heard mixed reviews on the Polaris 700Twin. Statistically, it is bigger, much heavier, and does not have good speed for its engine size. I have also heard others talking about what some have called the 'severe' engine breaking.

On the flip side, I have not even ridden one either.

Any input?

Old 04-10-2002, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

I was able to ride a SP700 and Kawi 650 during the same test ride. The 700 is definetly smoother on uneven terrain. You do not really feel the weight the power is so good. You will have good acceleration at best but mid-high end speed is exceptional. If you are planning on using your utility ATV for heavier work then my vote would be for the Sportsman 700. I may be wrong here but I feel that the EBS on both the 700 and 650 are about the same. But not as extreme as some make it out to be.

I personally chose the Kawi 650 for the following reasons: Mind you, I really liked the SP700.
1) The 650 acceleration is exceptional at all speeds. Throttle response is the best at any speed up to 50mph. Then the 700 takes over.

2) The straight axle is not at all uncomfortable. I thought I wanted IRS. The 650 VTwin has enough power to pull you through most anything. Believe me on this one. IRS is overrated when relating it to the 650.

3) Best brakes. Rear brakes sealed. Best hill acsending and descending.

4) Actually more fun to ride and do power 360's with the lighter weight. I tipped my 650 once and that was enough to get back upright. I could not imagine trying to uplift the 100 plus lb. more 700.

5) If the belt on the 650 goes, the ATV will go into a limp mode to get you back to civiliation at a painfully slow speed. But this beats walking.

6) 650 has rip cord for starting. 700 does not. Dead battery means I can still get it started.

7) I have only had my 650 for six weeks. But I could not imaging greasing 30-some grease zerks in 0-30 degree weather with a muddy ATV like I would have to with the 700.

These are the reasons why I chose the 650 over the 700. The 650 met my particular needs better but you have your own; if the 700 meets them, then that is your ATV. But I did like the SP700 for its looks, power, style, and ruggedness. It also comes with better stock tires and nicer rims.

Old 04-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

This site has some new test results from the BIG BORES.
http://supertrax-mag.com/atv/news/ne...pr4bigbore.htm

Prarie has the Best Acceleration but the worst top speed.

Sportsman 700 has the Highest top speed but the worst Acceleration

660 Grizz falls right in the middle of both.

Old 04-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

the prarie is a great quad, and has googles of power off the line, but i beleave offers little more than that( just an observation).
the new 700 is a nice quad, but a true heavyweight compared to the other 2. it is harder to through around the extra 150 lbs. plus, no gas guage???(i wonder why not)
the grizzly is right there in the middle. it has alot of power, real close to the prarie, and faster on top end. it has irs, witch is a good thing, regardless what others say. it can do whatever you ask from it, and more. it can powerslide with relitive ease due to sheer power out of the hole, and doesn't beet you up on the longer rides like a solid axle might due. it's one and only( in my opinion) weakness, is that on hills, if crossing them on the side, the irs can sag where the solid axles wont as bad.
i picked the grizzly couse, like all the shootouts say, it is the best all around quad. it runs right in the middle between the prarie and the sportsman, giving you what might be the best in the middle of the road abilitys. lol.

my pictures

Old 04-17-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

First off, I would like to say that all 3 quads are great machines. There is no clear-cut "Best" machine. You just have to think about what is most important to you. Sport, or Utility. All three will do work well, and all 3 will give a fun ride, but each one shines in it's particular area. The Prairie 650 shines the most in the sport type riding. I think of mine as a sport 4x4, rather than a sport utility, I have even taken the racks off mine, as I never plan to use them. There's no doubt in my mind that it will do all the work that I could ever need it to, but it's best quality's are in it's thrilling ride. It accelerates very hard, handles great and mine tops out at 67 mph. I have read all different reports as to which one is fastest, from the Quest 650, to Prairie 650, to the Grizzly 660, to the SP700. To tell the truth, I think they are all the same speed on the top, any variation in top speed would be do to rider weight, and or atmospheric conditions, i.e.; temp and pressure.

On the other side of the coin, the SP700 is probably the better work machine. It has the highest tow rating, highest rack capacities and lots of low end pulling power. A friend of mine has one, and I have ridden it for comparison. It gives a smother ride than my Prairie 650, and has a softer seat. Definitely a more comfortable quad for a daylong ride. It accelerates very smoothly, and is deceptive as to how fast it is. It is a nice machine, but it doesn't offer near the thrills as the Prairie 650, it was almost boring after being used to my Prairie 650.

I have not ridden the Grizzly 660, but I have read everything that I could find on it. I think that it is a sharp looking quad. It is the one that I originally wanted to buy. I love the way it looks, and it offered everything that I wanted. But in reading all the reviews, I began to see that it just wasn’t as quick and sporty as the Prairie 650. Like others have said, it is a good middle of the road machine. It does everything well, and nothing bad. It is just that for sport ridding, the Prairie 650 is better, and that is what I wanted most. And for work, the SP700 offers more in every respect, from towing to rack capacities. So that definitely leaves it in the middle, a "Jack of all trades, but a Master of none"

If you want a quad that is the quickest, sportiest, and most thrilling to ride, plus one that will still do lot's of work, and go any where, then get the Prairie 650! If you want a quad that will tow the most, haul the biggest plow, and carry the most on it racks, plus still give a fun, comfortable ride, then get the SP700. And if you just can't decide what you want most in a big bore ATV, then get the Grizzly 660. It may not be the best in any one area, but it does everything pretty well. All three quads will go anywhere that you ever could want to go. Dirtwheels and ATV Action have done numerous tests on all three of these quads including shootouts, and both magazines choose the Prairie 650 as “their” winner in the Big Bore Shoot Out. ATV Action just chose the Prairie 650 as ATV of the Year! I think it was ATV Magazine that chose the SP700 as its ATV of the Year. The Grizzly has yet to come away as the clear-cut winner of any Shoot Out that I am aware of, but it always gets good reviews.

No matter which machine that you decide on, I promise that you won't be disappointed. They are all that good. It could come down to the one that gives you the best deal. Good luck!