Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

The Zilla or the Raptor ??? what Should I Buy ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love to ride Mountains , Sand , Mud , hitting jumps and going like a bat outta hell. Previous Ride 87 Lt250R , Fmfpipe and a few other minor mods , ( had to sell )loved it but I need more power.Presently ride an 84 CR250 , I Miss my quad.

Concern, Zilla ..... Great for hillclimbing , but Is She Any good to jump ???

Raptor ..... Is she Enough power to scare the **** outta me ??? , Not sure if 4 stroker will do the job .... good for jumping, and sure like the reverse and electric start options but quite a bit more $$$$ for the raptor.

Seeing alot of 01 Raptors for sale in paper ... I Wonder about that.

Anybody give me some feedback ??? be greatly appriciated

Old 03-24-2002, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

If I were you I would probably go for a zilla if you could find a clean one and if your use to 2 stroke minor maintenance. You are correct and may be disspointed in the Raptors hp. However, I don't know why your bypassing the banshee. You can make a banshee ride in any terrain, get some serious hp out if fairly easy, and with some mods, beat both the LT500 and espially the Raptor. The way to look at it is like this. If your satisfied with the stock machines, then they are all pretty equal giving a little advantage to the LT. If it is something you might want to build up in the future then I would deffinately go for the more hp sensitive 2 strokes. The four strokes I have never had much luck without finding out I had to spend a fortune to get them to speed. Out of the 4 strokes though, I would deffinatley choose the DS over the Raptor anyday. Thats is deffinatley one nice bike!

Old 03-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have a buddy on this forum named "chappy". He has a tricked out zilla with a paul turnner engine and all the goodies. It will fly!!! It was clocked at 107m.p.h The zilla is a kick a&& machine. If you can find one in good shape, go for it. However, don't overlook the raptor. It will also fly straight out of the box and with a few minor mods it will scream down the trails. I personally prefer four stroke over two and also prefer new over used. JMO

Old 03-24-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Since I have owned both with plenty of seat time on each here is my take.

The Quadzilla is a great overall machine with plenty of torque that will allow you to lug it around all day if you prefer. The top end is good (could be better) but I found a Paul Turner pipe took care of that. The handling is good as well considering it's size but it is a handful to air it out big. On a motocross track I would definitely look elsewhere but in the dunes and wide oped areas it's great. I would highly recommend one.

The raptor has great power especially after a simple pipe and rejet. The dinosaur as well has plenty of torque and very good top end. Where I feel the raptor has an advantage is in the handling department. You can flick it around and jump it much better than the quadzilla. I installed a Durablue 2+2 axle on mine and it was the best mod I made.

They're both great machines but I preferred the raptor because of the handling difference. Just my .02 cents.

Old 03-24-2002, 11:48 PM
Fez
Range Rover

I think zilla will have the power to scar the bejesus out of you no problem. THe raptor has a sh*t load of power too but its a 4 stroke. It doesnt come as quick as a 2 stroke. Get zilla. as for jumping you can always mod it.

Old 03-24-2002, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with "fez". Th zilla will scare the bejesus out of you, but thena again, I think the raptor will too ! (JMO). I personally prefer the four stroke over the two just for maintenance reasons. As for hill climbs, the two stroke power comes on too strong! Both machines are awesome rides. You will not be disappointed with either one

Old 03-26-2002, 10:08 PM
Fez
Range Rover

yep

Old 03-27-2002, 01:48 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Guys I found an 87 Zilla in amazing condition,the plastic is like new, it has 3 boxes of extra parts ( tons of new stuff ) fmf fatty and pipe , k&n air filter , renthal bars , twist throttle , dual baha lights , 3 sets of rims and tires and a **** load of other stuff. I cannot believe the condition of this thing , it does need a little TLC but I dont mind that at all. Paid about 2300.00 $ U.S. which is about 3800.00 $ Canadian dollars which seemed alot less then the average.the aaverage is 5 - 6000.00 $ cdn. Thanks for your input everybody, It is appriciated.

Old 03-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Looks like I got here too late...oh well...