Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

want to buy my 1st quad - i'm not real big, what about size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 03:09 PM
Ami
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I first wrote about Polaris vs. Honda, then I got to looking at the weight talk in a post before mine. I think I better seek more clarification. It will be my first quad. I weight 110 lbs. and am 5'2''. I'd like to ride me and a friend at times even though it's not recommended. Soooooo what size should I look at? I definately want 4x4 as I'll be riding in the mountains. There is an Artic Cat dealer in my tiny town. My use is purely fun, getting out, mountain trails, camping. I just want to play! Any ideas??? I'm new and I don't know anything!

Old 03-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

400i or 500i Arctic Cat will work fine for you both will handle 2up.
As for size: If you can reach the controls comfortably size should not be a problem.
The 400 has slightly easier steering.
I have ridden the Rampart Range S.W. of Denver Also the Moab. Utah area. Your fortunate
to have such great riding areas nearby. ( Go for it )

Old 03-25-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

For a little sportier ride look at the POLARIS Scrambler 500 4x4.

You will have 4x4 and still keep up with 400EXs

Polaris are big bikes so if you are riding 2 up (Not Legal on state land)

there will be plenty on room.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:13 AM
The Facility

Sorry. Voluntarily refraining from commenting on the brand beginning with the letter "P"

Old 03-26-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

<< Go with a Japanese engineered ATV by all means. The Polaris models have nice features, but also features the worst brand image in the industry. And for good reason. >>

THAT REASON MUST BE BECAUSE POLARIS HAS SOLD OVER 6 time more auto ATVs than all others combined.

((((((DID YOU KNOW THAT)))))))))

I AGREE, Go with the guys that know their stuff

Old 03-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Go with the guys who know there stuff? Last I knew Artic Cat was fairly new to the ATV market. Polaris is the only way to go if you want a sporty 4x4, my opinion. The best thing you can do is ride them both, I highly suggest it. We all have our opinions on what is better, but only you can decide what is better for you. Its a lot of money to spend to just guess on what you may like. If the dealers in your area won't let you ride them, pick up a newspaper, go through the classified ads, and ride some used quads, as many as you can. Good Luck.

Old 03-27-2002, 12:42 AM
The Facility

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 03-27-2002, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

NO I DO NOT TAKE THIS A PERSONAL ATTACK
I thought we were just refering to AUTO ATVs, NOT all THE 330,000 sold.
AND YES POLARIS HAS SOLD 6 TIMES MORE AUTOMATICs THAN ALL OTHER AUTOMATICS COMBINED(TRUE STATEMENT)
POLARIS MAKES AUTO ATVs, that is what they do

AND IF YOU KNOW THIS OR NOT AUTOMATIC IS WHERE EVERYONE IS GOING FOR UTILITY TYPE ATVs

YOU SAID YOUR SELF GO WITH THE EXPERTS.
In my book if you want an AUTO atv, there is only ONE expert.
Especially if they sell 6 time more of them than EVERYBODY else combined.
PAY ATTENTION YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING

POLARIS HAS SOLD 6 TIMES MORE AUTOMATIC ATVs THAN ALL OTHER MANUFACTURES COMBINED
The other manufactures would not let them print it if it was not TRUE, TRUE

Old 03-27-2002, 07:46 PM
Ami
Trailblazer

Okay Okay, I don't want to start an all out war here! I'm just a girl who wants to play in the mountains and can't cuz of a bum leg. I'm little 110lbs and want a machine that I can handle, that will run good, be really reliable, and take me and a friend for a ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I do appreciate all the input from everyone. Keep em coming. I'm getting confused a tab but it's good to get opinions. Thanks, Ami

Old 03-30-2002, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldn't recommend a polaris for you. When I was looking for a quad for me I quickly ruled out polaris as they are high maintenance! Ask the polaris owners what they all need to do to PROPERLY maintain their machines. It'll probably be more than you want to mess with. In my humble opinion a Rancher 4x4 ES or Foreman ES in the Honda line is better suited. Pretty much all the advantages of an automatic and a manual in one machine. There's the Rubicon too of course. Good luck on your search!

Quick Reply: want to buy my 1st quad - i'm not real big, what about size?