Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help for a clueless first time buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, everybody. I am looking into purchasing my first ATV and need a little help. I'm 5'11", 200 lbs and live in central Maine. I would like to get an automatic 4x4 right around $5000, if that is possissible. I plan on doing some hard trail riding with the occassional mud hole, also plan on using it for hunting. I really want to keep up with my 3 brother-in-laws who have a Rubicon 500, Prarie 650 and a Sportsman 500. All of which are a little pricey for me. I am knew to four-wheeling and hunting, as I am from CT, and I get enough herassment as it is. So I don't want them herassing me about not being able to keep up with them. Any help you can give me would be oustanding.

Old 05-12-2002, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

Speed comes at a price $$$. At $5000 you are a little short. 5k will get you a nice quad
4x4 such as the Suzuki Eiger or the Arctic Cat 400i 5k = a go anywhere quad but not the speed
of a 6k or 7k quad GOOD LUCK

Old 05-13-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

i would maybe check out the big bear 400 4x4. the only thing is it is not fully automatic but has a auto clutch

Old 05-13-2002, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Prairie 360

Old 05-13-2002, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Well it was said before speed comes with a price.

Take a look at the 500 Scrambler 4x4. It will have NO PROBLEM keeping up on the trails. (They may have some trouble keeping up). The Scrambler 4x4 will do very good in the occassional mud hole, but if you plan to use it in deep deep mud,it will not be as good as a true Utility (Scramblers are a crossbread Sport/Utility). The Scrambler does not come with racks but can be upfited with the fairly inexpensively for hunting. The Scrambler 4x4 will do everything you ask of it. For Me, there was not a better DO ALL bike on the market. I could not be happier.

Old 05-13-2002, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Eiger. I usually ride along with a P650 on the trails. No problem keeping up, in fact, I usually go a little faster but that's just riding style. In the woods and in the mud, the Eiger is just as fast as the 'big boys'. Now, once you hit a fire trail or any other long open stretch........................

Jaybee

Old 05-14-2002, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

First of all thanks to the people who responded!...I'm glad that you mentioned the Eiger. In doing my own research, I really liked what the Eiger had to offer. I liked the Eiger and the Big Bear best, but from what I have read the Big Bear is geared really low. I think I want something more sporty and a little less of a work horse. I need to stay pretty close to $5000 if I intend to go on living.(wife) Everything I've read about them has been good. What makes me nervous is you don't see that many people driving suzuki's and there has to be a reason why. ????????But it still seems like the best bike for the money, as far as speed and power goes.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

I'll second the recomendation for the Eiger. For the money you can't beat it! I payed 4614 for mine, (4X4 auto). If I had registered it and payed sales tax it still would have only been 4820. We have both a Prairie 650 and an Eiger and I can have just as much fun on the Suzi as the Quad Killing 650. I don't think any body has any mods out for the Eiger yet but my gut feeling is that this quad will respond well to intake and exhaust mods. One thing about the Suzi that I think works way better than the Kawasaki is the 4WD shifter. I've stuck both quads a few times on hills and deep ruts. If you can't get the Quad to move a couple of feet you are S.O.L as far as getting the Kawi to drop into 4WD. The Eiger is in 4WD as soon as you flip the lever, moving or not. I've had it on 3 wheels a couple of times and so far it has continued to pull with the wheel that is still on the ground. Not a true locking diff but it seems to work better than some of the limited slip differentials.

Old 05-14-2002, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Yamaha Kodiak. Selectable 2/4WD, NO diff. lock, plenty of power and fairly light.

Old 05-14-2002, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

CHECK OUT THE YAMAHA KODIAK. 4X4 AUTOMATIC 400. VERY QUICK FOR A UTILITY QUAD. TOPS OUT ABOUT 55MPH. VERY GOOD TURNING . GREAT IN WOODS. LOTS OF POWER. CLOSE TO KEEPING UP WITH POLARIS SP 500,BUT NOT QUITE.. IT WILL KEEP UP IN THE WOODS IF YOU CAN RIDE. CONFORTABLE BIKE.
TWO FREINDS OF MINE HAVE SUZUKI QUAD MASTER 500'S.
AFTER 38 MILES WE FILLED UP AT GAS STATION. SUZUKI'S USED 2.6 GALS EACH.
MY KODIAK USED 1.38 GAL. AND MY KODIAK ACTUALLY WAS FASTER HOLESHOT AND TOP END THEN BOTH SUZUKI'S. HI , LO. REVERSE. AND ONE OF FEW QUADS WITH A PARK POSITION. NO MORE FUMBLING WITH PARKING BRAKES THAT DON'T ALWAYS WORK.
MY ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT WITH THE KODIAK IS .. THE STOCK TIRES SUCK. SIDEWALL NOT STIFF ENOUGH.. TENDS TO HAVE A TIPPY FEELING. 589'S FIX THAT RIGHT AWAY. OTHER THAN THAT.. GREAT BIKE..
BIG BEAR IS A GREAT BIKE IF YOU LIKE TO SHIFT. BUT QUITE A BIT SLOWER THAN KODIAK.. WOULD HAVE A LOT OF TROUBLE KEEPING UP WITH POLARIS SP HO OR KAWI 650.
GOOD LUCK WITH WHICH EVER YOU CHOOSE.

Quick Reply: Help for a clueless first time buyer?