Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda Rancher ES

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering a Honda Rancher ES, does anyone have any iformation on this model?

Old 06-15-2002, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< I am considering a Honda Rancher ES, does anyone have any iformation on this model? >>

Typical Honda fit and finish (first rate) but I personally don't like the electric shift. I mean what's the point? If you don't want to shift gears with your foot get an automatic!

We have had a couple of these traded in and both had problems with the shift functions. To be honest both were high-mileage machines that had been used hard but ran fine except for locking up in gear. Whether that's a common problem for these i don't know...

There have been alot of recalls too....

Old 06-15-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Jerry59
Prairie360

Old 06-19-2002, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

2fat4moto...that's a stupid answer if i ever heard one....doesn't give him any information he's looking for...he asks for information on the rancher, you say &quot;prairie 360&quot;...plain dumb answer.
Terracer...what recalls are you referring to...number of recall issues or the number of machines recalled for a particular issue?
Jerry 59...the Rancher is a good machine...i have the S model only because i'm worried about the reliability factor of an electric shifter...my neighbor has the ES model and has had ZERO problems...it is much better for shifting (easier and faster)than the standard model...and in my opinion it is better than an automatic as you always have total control of what gear you are in..it's quick enough for a utility machine (can do 50 mph if you're on an airport runway to give it room to get there)...low gear is plenty low for working (crawling, towing, plowing)...rides a little rough...you can probably get better performance out of other quads in the same class, but the honda reliability is a major factor in my decision....i'm hoping it will be as reliable as other hondas i've owned....it has a limited slip fron diff which will not pull you through the mud that other 4wd systems will (such as polaris)...it has good ground clearance (9.7 inches), crap stock tires, decent gas mileage.....overall it is a good machine and deserves much consideration if you intend to buy a machine in this class...hope this was of some help.

Old 06-19-2002, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

How's this for a reason,
P360 is just plain better. Aluminum swingarm, wet brake, engine braking, locking differential, &amp; will smoke a Rancher.
Rancher is a DUMB choice. P360 Automatic tranny always in right gear, no need to have to choose one. You can pay more attention to the trail. I am not here to call someone a dumb @$$. No need to call me one.

Old 06-20-2002, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Again 2fat4moto, Jerry59 DID NOT ask for information on the prairie 360...he asked for information on the Rancher...you still have not contributed to this post....why don't you ask him if he considered the prairie 360....if he wants information on it, give it to him then.

Old 06-20-2002, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Jerry59,
I would like to suggest that you test ride a Prairie 360 before you make a final decision. Please let us know what you decide on. All Jap bikes are good, mainly depends on your riding style &amp; features you are looking for. Whatever you do, make sure you get what YOU want even if it cost a few more bucks. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2002, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

Much better answer 2fat4moto....now if you were him, would you also consider the Eiger?....i think i would.

Old 06-21-2002, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to ride them, THEM! not just one. We have a 2002 Rancher for all kinds of reasons, my reasons, not someone elses. It was the best choice for who is riding it and what we use it for. We don't and never wil ride it in mud past the gas cap, if we went &quot;mudding&quot; we would have bought something else. We do plan on having this ATV forever. One big reason we bought another Honda. We will eventually replace our Rubicon, probably around 5000 miles, so far we only have 1800 miles on it. I got the rancher for our daughters and it will probably never see 5000 miles. If the Rubicon had 5000 miles on it today I would trade it in on a brand new Rubicon.

Enjoy what ever you get and if you do get a Rancher get the ES 4X4. It has adeqate power, 4-wd, 25 mpg, quiet, and is just fun to ride. 90% of our riding is mountain trails in the Great Rocky Mountains and it is ideal for trail riding.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Man i envy you being able to ride in the Rocky Mountains...that must be awesome.

Quick Reply: Honda Rancher ES