Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Kodiak or Eiger 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on buying an ATV, my decision is on either a Eiger or Kodiak 400 2003. What is the best
machine for the money. I've heard from several people that the Eiger out performs the Kodiak, but I would like to here from someone who has experience with these two ATV's. I would be using it for Trailing, Snow Plowing, little climbing. Both machines from what I've heard are pretty reliable. I tested drived a Kodiak 400 2002 and a Eiger 400 2003. I like the fill of the Eiger 400 2003, but I have not yet test drived a Kodiak 400 2002.

Which machine is faster? I would appreciate your response.

Old 07-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll find that the Eiger is just a little better in all areas. It won the shootout with the Kodiak. I've been real happy with mine.

Jaybee

Old 07-28-2002, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right now at a dealership where I live, they have
an Eiger 400 2003 for $5,100 which is the retail price. I wanted to offer less, what amount would
you think I could get off of that price? I was thinking area $200.00 less.

Old 07-30-2002, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

I got mine for $4,890 + tax. No set up fees

Jaybee

Old 07-31-2002, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

The Kodiak was not in a shootout with the Eiger that I'm aware of. The Kodiak is not a budget machine and it was a budget 4x4 shootout which the Eiger won. They are both good bikes and I feel I can comment on them since I have both, but the Kod is auto and my Eiger is a 5 sp. The Kodiak is pretty much bullet proof. My Kodiak has more top end but the Eiger is faster getting there which is good for a 5sp. V/S auto. The Kodiak is water cooled and the Eiger is oil cooled. The Eiger seems like it should be dependable since it's basic as is the 4x4 in /out lever which is cable operated V/S push button on the Kodiak. At about $1000.00 less the Eiger is a solid value. Both quads are well balanced. My Kodiak starts easier as the Eiger is a little cold blooded for the 1st 5 minutes. The steering is easier on the Kodiak in 2x4 but the Eiger is easier to steer in 4x4. Both have excellent low range and engine brake in front wheels for steep down hills. The only ? is reliability on the Suzuki since it is a new quad. All indications are good so far.

02 Eiger 400 4x4 5sp

Old 08-02-2002, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

My mistake, I was thinking of the Big Bear, which is not as much machine as a Kodiak.

Jaybee

Old 08-02-2002, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I think you need to add the Arctic Cat 400, same engine as Eiger, to your list. It has a choice of solid rear axle or independent rear suspension (awsome ground clearance for this class), selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive, disc brakes all around and hi/lo range in either transmission. As well as other good points. The AC offers more choice, by far(seven models), than any ATV out there. The price is comparable or better than others. What do you think? Check out the AC forum for more info. Hope I helped. Oh yea it is also a very reliable machine as well.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

The AC might be a good choice but the weight of an AC is a factor for me. I want a lite bike on these steep mountains around here. The less weight to deal with on a badly rutted steep mountain the better. Also, that heel shifter thing that AC uses is lame and that comes from a friend of mine who owns one. The Eiger is about 10lbs heavier than the Kodiak, so they are both lite, around 550lbs. The Eiger is about 2 inches wider than my oo Kodiak. Some say the Kodiak was unstable due to narrow width but it is lite enough that a simple shift in your weight could control it nicely. Anyway, you can't go wrong w/ either machine.

Old 08-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

The shifter can be easily replaced with a toe only version from AC for about 10 bucks, the dealer would probably throw it in to make the sale. The weight issue all depends on where the weight is. I agree it is to use body weight with a lighter machine, but AC's weight is biased more to the front. This makes for a VERY confident climber, and either the ACT or IFS rear suspension are tops in the industry for rutted situations. The AC's keep their paws planted better than ANY quad on the market. I've seen several pictures of different AC's that have opposite corner tires on seven to nine inch blocks and the other two tires are still on the ground. That is pretty impresive.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You really should visit the AC forum, there is tons of info there. Just remember if you do any searches the AC 400 has the 375 engine for the '03 model. The oil cooler on the AC is also much larger than on the Eiger, Aproximately 12" X 12". Hope I helped not confused, but the AC is "A Whole Different Animal." I promise you the AC would be better in your rutted, mountainous area you should try it.

Old 08-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, a buddy of mine has the 00 250 4x4 AC. It surprised me the places it could go. I've heard a lot of negatives about reliability about them but people swear by them on this forumn, so I think they have improved over the last few years. One thing I don't much care for is the way the engine sits back so far and there is that space there. You would think it would be lite in the front but as you say that doesn't seem to be the case. Personally, I don't have any desire for a quad over 600 lbs but to each his own.

Quick Reply: Kodiak or Eiger 400