Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

buying in Canada VS US?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002 | 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default buying in Canada VS US?

I live in Alberta and the best place to buy is in Calgary from Blackfoot Motorsports. They are excellent to deal with and have a lot of stock. Also if you buy in Alberta, you don't pay any Provincial Sales Tax. Just GST which is 7%. As far as paying Duty and taxes in your state, I can't help you with that. Don't know anything about it.

Old 10-19-2002 | 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki-KTM in St. Albert, Alberta are great to dealers also

Old 10-20-2002 | 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you live anywhere near the Ontario Michigan Border then 2 places I recommend shopping at are..

1. Hully Gully

2. Inglis Cycle

Both are in london Ontario which is about 70 miles from Detroit.

They have some great prices on New (non current) stock.

I will likely buy my next quad from one of them. I just can't decide what to buy...but the money is burnin' a hole in my pocket
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2002 | 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

I think the canadians usally get a package like winch plow ect but in Us it is cheaper! oh well, my uncle bought a kodiak 400 in canada
and i like how it has blue fenders

Old 11-23-2002 | 06:54 PM
|
Pro Rider

actually i'm looking for Suzuki & Kawasaki dealers in the Vancouver BC area... it's about 2 hours drive from here. my next ride will be a Z400 or KFX400, soon after i've sold my LT250R.

Old 11-30-2002 | 04:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I want to buy a sportsman 700 in Canada and ship it to Germany.
can someone send me some dealer web sites or does anyone know a cheap dealer.
in germany we pay double to US prices. 10% custom and 16% GST plus road registration around us$ 1700.
adds 26% for the government, think thats loyal enough.
bye and regards from Bavaria

Old 12-02-2002 | 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lehencountry,

Send me an email, maybe I can help you out.

Paul

ppatterson@cogeco.ca

Old 12-03-2002 | 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: kevrm
dual sporter, in washington, they will charge you sales tax when you register your quad if you haven't purchased it from a dealer in washington. They *will* give you credit for sales tax if you paid that in another state, however, I don't think the reciprocity works for canada, so you could end up paying double - GST+PST+WA Sales Tax.

I just bought a used dirt bike from a private party - it cost me $350.00 to get tags the first time because of the sales tax.
I'm an accountant who lives in Canada. If you are from out of Country you should not be charged GST or any PST. If they do charge you can apply for a refund of both amounts so you won't have to pay double tax. The duty isn't refundable unless you can credit it against state sales tax.

There are also lots of deals available here on new quads. Happy Shopping!

Old 12-03-2002 | 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

is the duty tax deductable?

Old 12-03-2002 | 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

I've been told by a local dealer that the manufacturer has explicitly told them not to knowingly sell to the American market otherwise there would be dire consequences on them. This is of course to stop, just what you are trying to do. I guess you have to way the pros and cons. There is the hassle of customs, taxes, rebates, travel, maybe your warranty not being honoured and maybe an American dealer who will be pissed off you didn't buy from him, but you want him to fix it. Is it worth a couple of hundred dollars?
I guess it depends where you live and to each his own. Good quading.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: buying in Canada VS US?