Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

buying in Canada VS US?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm looking at getting a z400 in the near future(dec/jan) and was wondering about how to get a killer deal on one... the local dealers are aking full retail <u>plus</u> every setup fee they can charge <u>and</u> taxes on top of that. personally, i think they have thier heads way up thier rears for going about it that way...i'd like to support local dealers, but when i see a quote like that it makes me want to go elsewhere real fast.... and they wonder why they don't sell as many as other locations in the country.
anyways...
i'm not too far from the canadian border and was wondering if there's any advantage to buying a quad in canada? would it save any cash? i know i'll still have to pay tax on it when i register it here.

and onto the legal stuff (which may require a degree in constitutional law):
if i have a certificate of origin and a bill of sale(which i need to cross the border &amp; go through customs anyways)... do i have to register it at all? don't those two documents alone mean i own it.
if i register it and the state issues a title, then i have to pay a yearly tax on it to keep tabs on it.... then doesn't the state own it technically?
b/c if i pay a yearly tax on something i don't technically own it, right?

Old 10-06-2002, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not to sure about the registering it thing since that is different from state to state. In most cases it is up to the owner whether you register it or not. If you get caught riding off your property you will most likely get a fine.

Now for deals in Canada. You can definatly get a deal if you look hard enough over there. I have a deposit on a 2003 Blue Grizzly in Canada. I searched for a long time and finally found a place that would work with me. I, like you wanted to spend my money in the states but nobody over here wanted to make a deal. Everyone was sticking right around MSRP and then some. The 2003 Grizzly MSRP is 7,099.00, it was going to cost me another $69.00 for the winch and another $100.00 to have it installed. So in order for me to buy it over here it was going to cost me about 7300.00 for a red or green grizzly. The dealer I found over in Canada sold me the blue one that I really wanted with a winch installed and a rear cargo box for $6500.00. I do have to pay duty on it when i bring it back across but it is only 2.5%. I don't have to pay taxes on it since I live in NH and we don't have sales tax.
I really hated to spend my money in Canada especially when our country is having the economic problems we are but I'm getting what I want at a decent price and I'm pretty happy about it. I probably oculd have found a better deal if I was willing to drive farther but this one seemed pretty good to me. Plus the dealer is a good guy.

Old 10-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

dual sporter, in washington, they will charge you sales tax when you register your quad if you haven't purchased it from a dealer in washington. They *will* give you credit for sales tax if you paid that in another state, however, I don't think the reciprocity works for canada, so you could end up paying double - GST+PST+WA Sales Tax.

I just bought a used dirt bike from a private party - it cost me $350.00 to get tags the first time because of the sales tax.

Old 10-11-2002, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default buying in Canada VS US?

You can definitely save some dough on an ATV from Canada...For some reason our quad prices are cheaper generally than in the U.S. (according to my obsessive comparison shopping research). The same is true of some cars and trucks.
The exchange rate on the U.S. dollar is such that you get 1.5 - 1.55 canadian dollars for your U.S. dollar. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The key is find a canadian dealer selling the quad you want and get his best price in Canadian dollars. divide that by the current rate of exchange and you will have your price in U.S.
For example I priced a brand new 02 Prairie 650 in june for $8900. (Canadian)... divide that by say 1.53 (the approximate exchange rate at the time) and your price in U.S. dollars would be $5816.99.....Just remember you most likely have to pay sales tax called PST (provincial sales tax) and GST (Federal sales tax) in Canada unless the dealer marks the quad for export. However even if you do pay up front, I believe both taxes, (GST for sure), are rebated to you upon application to Canada Customs when you depart Canada with your proof of the purchase. I understand you will be charged 2.5 % duty by U.S. customs when you import it into the U.S. but this equates to about 160 bucks....You may have to pay state sales tax when you rgister the quad in your home state, (depending if you have sales tax on quads). In any case...using the prairie 650 for example, you can buy it at in Canada and take it home for the equivelant of $5816.99 U.S. plus $160. (duty) plus your local state sales tax....If youre looking for a Canadian dealers website email me and I'll try to help you....
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Range Rover

I would sure like a link to some atv dealer sites in canada. My friend bought his raptor up there for a lot less then in the states. could you email me with that.

Thanks

Old 10-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

www.yamaha-motor.ca/

This should get you what you want. Yamaha of Canada's web site isn't as good as Yamaha of America.

Old 10-17-2002, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see you are out west....

Try this one in Calgary Alberta.

http://www.blackfootmotosports.com/HTML/home.html

Remember prices are in Canadian dollars so divide by 1.5 to get approximate U.S. price

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2002, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider

one other tactic you might want to try and I wish I had done this because I would have saved more money I think is ask them what there best out the door price is in Canadian currency, then go to a bank and find out what the exchange rate is. Figure out what the price is converted over to American money then just go to the bank and exchange your money. You should be able to save more money then just saying "what is your best price in American currency."

Old 10-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes for sure......you are right Northern Edge.. I was just assuming you would negotiate in Canadian dollars...If not they may try to burn you on the exchange rate.

You want the best Canadian dollar price...

then figure out the American equivelant...

They wont care which currency you pay in..its readily exchangeable.

but do your dealing in canadian dollars..

Old 10-18-2002, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

yea, see that is what I didn't do. I played the game asking what the best deal I could get in American money. I still got a pretty good deal but I think I could have saved a couple huundred dollars more if I tried in Canadian dollars.

Quick Reply: buying in Canada VS US?