Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

BUYING USED?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2000, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING AN ATV. I WOULD LIKE TO START WITH A PREVIOUSLY OWNED QUAD TO CUT COST AND MAKE SURE THIS IS FOR ME. WHAT ARE THE IMPORTANT THINGS TO LOOK FOR AND THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN TRYING TO FIND A QUALITY, USED QUAD? I REALLY WANT IT TO PLOW MY DRIVE IN WINTER AND FOR OTHER UTILITY USES, BUT I'D ALSO LIKE TO RIDE FOR RECREATION. WHAT'S THE BEST ATV,TO HANDLE BOTH? (NEW OR USED)THANKS

Old 03-29-2000, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a honda 300ex would be a good choice or 4x4 utilty quads but i am more into sport quads the 300ex is electic start 4 stroke. Check for bad bearings in the axle carrier, swind arm and wheel spindles. also ask how often was the oil changed and air filter was cleaned. also if the stock tires and rims are on the bike it will tell you how much the bike was used. 300ex was made from 1993-00 and prices range from $2500-to new price not sure on that. Or you cn go with a Honda 250X same as he 300ex except for electric start and motor ccs

Old 03-30-2000, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

You will find that ATV's fall into one of three different catagories, those being Utility, Sport/Utility and Sport. Utility quads tend to be slower four-stoke, shaft-driven "work horse" machines with softer suspensions for a more comfortable ride. Sport quads are often two-stroke (although four-stokes are becomming more common), chain-driven units that are built for speed and thrills. You will be lucky to find a front or rear rack on a pure sport quad.

The sport/utility quads seem to be the most popular these days, however many seem to be nothing more than shaft-driven, utility quads with more agressive suspension and gear ratios.

Honda ATV's seem to have the highest resale value as compared to other models. However because they are also the top new seller, you can usually find someone trying to sell a used one. Despite what many will tell you, there are several manufacturers who produce very reliable ATV's in additional to those made by Honda. About the only manufacturer that I myself would not recommend is Polaris.

Now seems to be the worst time of year to buy a used ATV, at least in this part of the country (SE Texas). I have noticed more classified ads in the local papers for ATVs just before and after the hunting season. Still, great deals can be had even during the off season for those who are patient to buy.

The Kelly Blue Book web site (www.kellybluebook.com) provides free price-guide information on all makes and models. However, I have found their price quotes to be higher than the asking prices for the Houston area.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2000, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

From someone who's been there - Whatever type of bike you get, make sure you buy the title. Whatever story you may be told, no title - run away. However good the deal might sound, no title - run away. So you're buying from a really nice ATV guy, no title - run away.

ATV's are vehicles, just like a car and they have a title. Many ATV's are stolen and the law is virtually useless to protect you (the $ value is too low to be very important). Several years ago I purchased a stolen ATV. After I had it for a week the guy I bought it from called the police and told them that I had a stolen ATV. ATV was impounded and even though the police knew he stole the ATV, he outmanuevered 4 hearings and ran away.

Always find the VIN and engine serial #'s. If they are gone and no title. the bike is hot.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2000, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Your point is well taken, however keep in mind that laws governing ATV registration vary by State. For example, it is not necessary to register an ATV here in Texas. It is quite common for ATV owners here to not register their ATV if they intend to ride it only on private land. However, the state does require proof of registration in order to purchase a public use permit that allows ATV's to be driven on public land.

In areas where titles are not required, a copy of the original Bill of Sale from the dealer should suffice as proof of ownership.

Old 04-06-2000, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

Definently a HONDA engines they last for ever. im only going to talk about hondas because they are the only good quads. If your buying a used atv definently look as hard as you can for a HONDA 300 4X4 or if you can find a 4x4 4x2 might do. The honda 300 is the most sold quad ever. I have a honda 300 4x4 and i plow with it and it plows ecelent if you get a honda 300 4X2 get chains on the back tires in the winter. the honda recon is good to but i think it a 2 wheel drive.
HONDA BEST ON EARTH. IM a proud owner of a Honda 3004X4 Honda Rancher 350 4X4 and the 300ex I love my Hondas they always start and dont get stuck

Old 04-07-2000, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

when i bought my bike used i just got a bill of sale and had no problems.

Old 04-07-2000, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

If you purchase from an individual then make sure he has the title on hand or else get a bill of sale from them & make sure everone signs it. Just make sure you cover your butt

Old 04-08-2000, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

I had a nice typed bill of sale for a a stolen ATV. All it did was keep me from getting charged with theft, I was still out the ATV and all the money.

JB

Old 04-08-2000, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

buy a polaris, i myself have 2 new ones and am very pleased with them both!! im not a racer or into a utility quad so i have a trailblazer and a scrambler 4x4, both are electric start,reverse and best of all automatic, no missed shifts or out of the right gear,very easy for anymember of my family to ride easy!! i did get a rear rack for the trailblazer to carry items(cooler) my opinion is polaris i like mine very much!!
chip palmer

Quick Reply: BUYING USED?