Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know what to get?! Help

Okay, what do you think, here? I'm thinking I want something new and don't know what to get. I may start racing in hare scrambles and I can't really do that very well with the Rancher (as I found out last Sunday). I need something just a little more sporty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

So I have been seriously considering a 250EX, Trailblazer 250, the new Z250 or ???? I like shaft drive, and I like automatic. None of those have both. I would just get that new Kawasaki 700 but I think that is just way, way too big for me. I can't find what the dry weight or dimensions of it are to decide that. If it weren't too big that would be an awesome machine! If I went with something cheaper I could keep the Rancher for when I want 4wheel drive in the winter or mud.

The racing would only be occasionally. Every weekend we ride on trails with hills & mud and some creek riding. Reverse is a MUST, and I prefer 4-stroke. I'd like to just race utility so I can race my weekend machine, but I'm too small to handle a big machine in a race (if I want to try and place, that is).

Any opinions?

One more question! The hare scramble last Sunday had a light utility class...how can 250EX's be light utility just because of shaft drive and auto clutch? What would the KFX700 be, then? Utility? I don't understand how they classify all these, and that may weigh my decision as well.

Thanks!!!!

Old 11-20-2002, 10:13 AM
RIP Dear Friend
Default Need Advice!

ATVGurl,

I guess as it is in cars and trucks it is the very same situation in an ATV purchase. So many choices but just not the perfect one for you.

You say "I like shaft drive, and I like automatic", I like them too and the no maintenance drive shaft is a plus. You might be the perfect candidate for the new sport Suzuki 250 and especially if your weight is low.

I have only seen one in print but as good as the utility Suzuki 250 has been reviewed I would say there new sport 250 will be a winner too against the 250EX and the Trailblazer 250.

Chet

Old 11-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need Advice!

Originally posted by: ATVGurl
I would just get that new Kawasaki 700 but I think that is just way, way too big for me. I can't find what the dry weight or dimensions of it are to decide that.
<U>Specifications for KFX-700 V Force</U>
Dispacement---------------------------------------------------697cc
Bore and Stroke-----------------------------------------------82.0 x 66.0mm
Maximum Torque----------------------------------------------42.7 ft/lbs
Compression ratio---------------------------------------------9.9:1
Carburator------------------------------------------------------Kelhin CVKR32 X 2
Front Wheel Travel -------------------------------------------9.3in.
Rear Wheel Travel---------------------------------------------7.9in.
Wheelbase------------------------------------------------------50.6in.
Front Tire Size--------------------------------------------------AT22 x7-10
Rear Tire Size---------------------------------------------------AT22 x 11-10
Ground Clearance [center of chassis]----------------------9.6in.
Ground Clearance [at differential]---------------------------6.3in.
Minimum Turning Radius---------------------------------------10.5ft.
Fuel Tank Capacity----------------------------------------------3.2 gal.
Final Drive---------------------------------------------------------Shaft
Track Front/Rear-------------------------------------------------39.4/35.4in.
Dry Weight--------------------------------------------------------505lbs
Warranty----------------------------------------------------------6 months

Originally posted by: ATVGurl
The hare scramble last Sunday had a light utility class...how can 250EX's be light utility just because of shaft drive and auto clutch? What would the KFX700 be, then? Utility? I don't understand how they classify all these, and that may weigh my decision as well.Thanks!!!!
The rason that the 250 EX is classified as a utility is due to the shaft drive, your hare scramble must have beeen following GNCC standards. You can see the complete listing of rules and classes at the GNCC we site.

Old 11-20-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need Advice!

Thanks, Chet, for your advice. I think the Z250 seems like a pretty great machine in print, too. I'm only 5' 2" and #110, so it would probably be a good size for me. I want all the advantages of that 700 in something smaller, but bigger than a 250. You're right, they're kind of like cars. Wouldn't it be nice if we could order options on them like cars? I'll take reverse, and shaft drive, automatic, and a cd player, please.

Old 11-20-2002, 02:29 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default Need Advice!

Hey muddhound,

Thanks for the info.

Thats means the new Kawasaki is about 105 pounds more than the Recon. Kawasaki will sell everyone of those machines.

Thats just a little less than what ATVgurl weighs.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Chet

Old 11-20-2002, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need Advice!

Oh awesome! I couldn't find those specs! #505 isn't too bad. I'm used to 500-600 pounds. Hmmm.

The GNCC rules were super interesting to read. So this is what I found about the 700:

6. Utility (ATV) - a 4 Wheel Drive ATV or a 2 Wheel Drive ATV which comes with racks and/or an automatic transmission as standard equipment.
That thing will kick butt, I think.

Thanks for all the info!!!