Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Ready to buy: Rancher vs. Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2000, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't decide whether to buy a Honda Rancher 4x4 es or a Yamaha Kodiak 4x4. I will use it for trail ridding and muddin. Which one of these atv's would be better? If you have one of these have you had a problem with them?

Old 04-02-2000, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

be aware, I have a '00 rancher great bike i love it and wouldn't trade it for anything else right now, but the tires are the weakest link in its mudding capabilities. they need to be wider and have a better tread design. They have gotten me out of the soup many times, but yesterday while intentionally playing in a mudhole they wouldn't make it. Thank you Superwinch.

But either will suit your needs, I'm partial to the Rancher.

Old 04-02-2000, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

Do you want manual, electric, or automatic transmission ?? Is the 2WD option important to you ? Which one are you more confortable on ? The honda seems to have a better limited-slip diff. in front but the kodiak can spin the tires faster
without loosing momentum. (in my opinion)

Old 04-03-2000, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

I think the Kodiak is a beeter choice,not taking anything away from the Rancher cause Honda's are bulletproof,but Yamaha's in a very close second for reliability.I just think you'd like the Kodiak more.It's got 2-4WD,liquid cooling,Automatic transmition,great ground clearance,more suspension travel,bigger gas tank,tighter turning,lighter turning also,and higher towing and rack capacities.I wish I could have one for my wife so she could go riding with me and the Grizzly!Get the Kodiak,but either way you can't go wrong!

Old 04-03-2000, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Check jltimm previous post and see what kind of post's he leave then make up your mind if you believe him. He does nothing but go around the board making attacks and leaving smar#ss remarks that have no fact to go with them. I personally own a polaris, AC and a kawasaki so all I can say on this matter is both bikes are great the rancher is supposed to have an improved 3 wd system and the yamaha does have a switch that you can put into 2 and 4 wheel drive. Ride both then decide but you can't go wrong with either just watch who you take advice from...I personally like a Polaris but unlike some people I realize they are good and bad things in all bikes and I am not going to try and talk you into a bike I think is the best. Honda really needs to add a lot of luxurys to catch up with the rest of the bikes like disc brakes, water cooling, 2 to 4 wheel drive switch, IRS and the yamaha has some of these things but does not have as good of 4 wd system as the Honda. The Honda has a 4 wd system like my AC 500 and it does pull great so take it from there...good luck with your purchase and let us know what you get and how you like it.

Old 04-04-2000, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Hey,atving who rattled your cage?

Old 04-05-2000, 03:43 AM
Range Rover

To me it sounds like ATVING just wants to start some **** with Jltimm and cut on honda.

Old 04-05-2000, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

atving, all you try to do is stir it up . . .I've read plenty of your posts and am starting to see a trend.

Can you tell me why the rancher needs water cooling, if it doesn't over heat than where's the need. And brakes, reefing on the brakes hard could put you over the bars, do I need quicker stoping power than that? That stop me better than my sp500 (or maybe this is because the thing is 170 lbs lighter), and they don't need to be replaced after 200 miles! Guess that's the benefit of having true engine braking. As for the 4wd, call it 3wd or whatever you want, fact is the rancher will run with my Polaris all day long in the mud and you'd be hard pressed to get either of them stuck. My preference is the limited slip arrangement, more trouble free . . . I know I've got significant cash into repairs on the Polaris - not only for AWD but also tie rods, electrical and overheating problems.

Old 04-05-2000, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Both ATV's are good choices, actually those were my 2 choices about a month ago.

You should test ride both of them & then decide. I personally liked the Rancher. People alway want to know which is the fastest? Well if I want to go really fast then I will buy a 400EX or Banshee! I have had my Rancher up to 50 mph on dirt logging roads & I weigh 240.

Just pick one & go riding!

Old 04-05-2000, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

Atving please explain to me why you would have to bring up polaris and arctic cat,when the discussion was about honda and yamaha.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy: Rancher vs. Kodiak