Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Z-400 or Raptor ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 03:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z-400 or Raptor ?

I'm looking for real world opinions of which ATV is better suited to me. My options are the Z-400 or the Raptor. I'm 260 pounds and wonder if the extra power of the 660 is more worth it than the better handling of the Z-400?

Old 12-04-2002, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

The type of riding I mostly do is trails. Lots of slower speeds (2nd-3rd gear), but I still want to be able to pick up the pace in the open stretches. I also get into some mud and sand. I want something that will be comfortable for a whole days ride. I had previously considered a 4x4, but it seemed the more people I talked said that I could go the same places with a sport quad(and it would be faster and lighter to get unstuck if I ever did). Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2002, 06:34 PM
Range Rover

RAPTOR

Old 12-06-2002, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Don't let anyone convince you that a 2x4will go anywhere that a 4x4 will go...if that we're the case, we would all be driving 2x4's...a 2x4 just may be suitable for you...unless you are going to be going places where you can get stuck a lot, then the a 4x4 is for you...you say comfort for an all-day ride is important...you also say that slow riding will take up a lot of your time....from this i would infer that you will be riding rough trails, and possibly need 4x4...if this is the case there are lots of choices....to give you the comfort you seem to want, then independent suspension is the best way to go...only one honda will give you this...the 650 rincon....the polaris 500 (or 600 or 700) are great performers also, although the 600 and 700 may be overkill for the riding conditions you describe....the arctic cats are smooth riders, with tremendous torque, although some brand them as being a little too slow...the prarie 650 is a wicked performer (and fast), but doesn't have the suspension of the others mentioned...those are some choices..there are smaller bore machines that may do the job for you as well, but you did say that you wanted to open it up on the smooth stretches....of the ones i've mentioned, i would go with the rincon for the comfort and fast trailriding...the polaris 500 for comfort and mudding performance, and the prarie 650 for great performance speedwise and 4wd, but perhaps lacking in comfort in comparison to the others....stick around and i'm sure there will be lots of other ideas from members...good luck...hope this was of some help.

edited for this addition: i should mention that i have driven all the machines mentioned except the Rincon and the Polaris 600.....so what i have said about those is based on what my buddies tell me and what i read....so if you want, you can scrap my opinions of these 2...i have no basis for argument.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

I want to offer a different opinion from Great canadian, not that I am saying he is all wrong. I bought a 4 x 4 thinking I wanted to go anywhere and conquer great boulders, etc. The riding areas we have in Indiana are mostly wooded areas of adandoned strip mines . Here there are more hills that the 2 x 4's can do that the 4 x 4's have great trouble on than the opposite. The hills I speak of are very tall (100 ft+) very steep and well ridden. Since the lightwieght sport quads can gain great speed in a sometimes short runway thay can use momentum to get most of the way up, while even the big bore 4 x 4's end up digging in near the top and risk flipping or rolling back down. Almost the same situation as a tall dune, but harder surface. I hope this helps. Also, I would pick a Z400 over a raptor and that is exactly the choice I have been thinking about myself. I figured I could easily make the Z faster if I needed to, but fixing the Raptor's alleged bad handling looks expensive. I've ridden both but not enough that one is obviously better. Both fast as hell compared to the foreman

Old 12-06-2002, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorRaptorRaptorRaptorRaptorRaptorRaptorRaptorRa ptorRaptorRaptorRaptorRaptor660R1!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Get The RAPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2002, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Even though the owner's manual suggest that there is a weight limit of 200lbs, I would still get the raptor. I'm a little over 200 and I still have a hard time taming her.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

If you want just a sport atv I think the raptor would suit you better. If you want to have fun plus 4x4 go with polaris scrambler. I have the Z400 and I love it. It handles a little better than the raptor but lakes the brutt power of the raptor.

Old 12-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you would enjoy a scrambler 500 they got lots of pick up and it would accomodate a fella of your size. for just puttin you'll have lots of fun either way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Z-400 or Raptor ?