Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV insurance in California?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV insurance in California?

Does anybody have it? I've checked a few places and a 2003 Suzuki Z400 is about $750-900/year. What gives? I see people from other states posting that they pay less than $200/year. Does anybody know why this is? I hate to think that my brand new Raptor and Z400 will be unprotected...

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am insured with Allstate (plus Kryptonie and Glock!!). They have special recreational vehicle policies. I have my homeowners and car insurance with them, so I may be getting a multi-policy price brake???? It is about $130/year to have FULL COVERAGE (theft, collision, liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist, etc.). I only fully insure my most expensive bikes. The others have liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for about $30/year. These are pretty reasonable rates compared to what you are quoting!!

I particularly value the uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Hardly anybody insures their bikes for liability. What about those thousands of crazy yahoo kids on dirt bikes, you think they have liability insurance??? So, what happens when some idiot hits you and destroys your bike and injures you? He has no insurance, and probably doesn't have enough assets to make it worth suing him. So where does that leave you if you are not insured??? This coverage also covers anybody I let borrow one of my bikes. This is a real bargain at $30/year!!!

Old 05-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Point. I never thought about underinsured or uninsured motorist on the ATV.
Anyone out there get decent insurance in California? How many people carry insurance?